Friday, July 4, 2008

Medium Long Run Twice This Week!

Daily Quote:
"A medium-long run is any run of 11 to 16 miles. Medium-long runs reinforce the physiological benefits of your long runs. To gain the greatest physiological benefits, the pace for these should be similar to the pace for long runs."
--Pfitzinger & Douglas from the book "Advanced Marathoning" pg 134.

Fridays are normally my General Aerobic Runs, which I've very gradually increased my mileage and are now Medium-Long Runs. I'm now running two Medium-Long Runs, but eventually Mondays will be a Long Run rather than Medium-Long Runs (long runs are any runs 17 miles or longer).

9:30 a.m. Medium-Long Run. 11 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 6 miles at 6.3 mph and last five miles at 6.4 mph. Average heart rate: 146 bpm. Cardiac drift: 153 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart is 190 bpm). I was surprised how steady my heart rate was during today's run, maybe it's time to increase the speed of my Medium Long Runs or perhaps the last couple of miles at marathon pace?
Body feels good, no aches nor pain, but I'm very tired and work tonight will be extremely busy and hectic due to the Fourth of July tourists; I'm looking forward to sleeping late tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

BeachRunner said...

Hope you had a great holiday and the tourists didn't wear you out too much.