"How long should your long runs be? Ideally, you'll run at least several 20s and several 24- to 26-milers before your first 50. Even better, you’ll run at least one 30-mile walk/run. Many ultrarunners do at least two 30-milers per month, and some do a 30 every weekend. There’s even a trail-tough group who do a 30 on Saturday and a 20 on Sunday."--George Beinhorn, Ultramarathoner
Yesterday I had a boring six mile Recovery Run and didn't even want to post it yesterday as it's the same old, same old. I've been in a lousy funk.
Today I had increased my Medium-Long Run to 12 miles. Monday is the beginning of my fourth week in this training block, which means it'll be a Recovery Week. I'm looking forward to a comfortable, less time consuming, Recovery Week. Hopefully next week's recovery will help me get out of this funk!
10:30 a.m. Medium-Long Run. 12 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 6 miles at 6.3 mph and last six miles at 6.4 mph. Average heart rate: 145 bpm. Cardiac drift: 152 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart is 190 bpm) I was terribly bored on the treadmill today, I struggled with negative thoughts of quitting my run early, but managed to hang on for the full 12 miles. September is when I start training on the roads again and it seems so very far away! I don't have much choice, today's temperatures in Las Vegas will be 114 degrees in the shade. This weekend I plan on purchasing a new CD with the hopes it'll help alleviate the dreadmill's boredom.
This Sunday I'll be helping my daughter, Lisa, move to a new apartment...looking forward to a little extra crosstraining by lifting heavy boxes!!

6 comments:
And I thought it was hot here - talk about the dog days of summer - sheesh.
Do you use an ipod to listen to music/podcasts or watch video when you run on the TM?
Have fun lifting boxes.
Hang in there-September will be here before you know it and you'll be out on the road!
Howdy Beachrunner! Nope, I don't have ipods nor podcasts, I do have an old Sony Sports CD Player that I've have been listening to since 1999...as soon as the player wears out I'll purchase one of those newfangled gadgets like an ipod.
Howdy Tanya! Every year about this time I start whimpering about the dreadmill, indeed, September is just around the corner and I'll be on the roads before I know it! I need to keep a stiff upper lip.
Moving is a great way to get in some cross training! I don't know how you guys can manage 114 degree heat! Hope you had a nice time with your daughter.
Howdy d10! Luckily we started moving boxes at 7:00 a.m. when it was only in the upper 90's, nevertheless by 11:00 a.m. it was very HOT! When you live in Vegas you do acclimate to the heat somewhat, but don't normally do much physical labor for obvious reasons! I was suffering!!
Post a Comment