Friday, June 27, 2008

Right Ankle is Better

Daily Quote:
"Training and racing are great teachers about health for an athlete. But the athlete must listen to what they have to teach."
--Scott Jurek, ultramarathoner (from his site, "scottjurek.com"

This morning my right ankle wasn't sore, nevertheless, I'm taking some precautions and setting the treadmill at a zero grade/elevation, also if my ankle becomes sore anytime during the run, I'll stop the workout.

10:15 a.m. General Aerobic Run. 9 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a zero grade. 5 miles at 6.3 mph and last four miles at 6.4 mph. Average heart rate: 140 bpm. Cardiac drift: 146 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart is 190 bpm). My heart rate was lower than last week and the run felt much easier, undoubtedly due to my setting the treadmill at zero grade.

Ankle wasn't sore during or after the run; tomorrow is a Recovery Run, which should help the ankle heal even more. I'll also be icing both ankles after work. Next Friday I'll be increasing this General Aerobic Run to ten miles, which will then be a Medium-Long Run. Eventually, Monday's Medium-Long Run will become a Long Run. Slowy adding mileage is exciting for me as it shows real progress as I dream of future glories in the marathons and ultramarathons.

1 comment:

Scooter said...

Bruce,
Your "missed it by THAT much" comment on my blog really made me laugh.
Wayne