Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Shift Bid

Daily Quote:

"A good breakfast doesn't just set you up for the day, it could also stop middle-age spread. This comes from a study of 7,000 over-40s in Norfolk. Despite consuming more calories each day, those who ate the biggest breakfasts had the lowest BMI and gained least weight over the next few years -- suggesting time of consumption was significant."
--Runner's World (England Edition) June, 2008

Today is Shift Bid! Every six months Checker Cab Company has shift bid that determines what shift (time of hours, day or night), my days off, and what will be my assigned taxi. Everything is based on seniority, since I've been driving for Checker Cab for 18 years I pretty much get what I want in shifts, days off, and a new cab...and everything went as expected...I'm still working Monday through Friday, 2:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m., and driving the new Checker Cab #3977! Also, my seniority number has gone up by two (one driver died and another driver is in jail for going berserk and trying to run over two motorcycle cops); out of 859 Checker Cab Drivers my new seniority number is #34.

Since shift bid starts at 6:00 a.m., I was only able to get three hours of sleep last night, therefore, I decided to take a Rest Day and return to bed.

5 comments:

The Running Bob said...

Do you actually bid money on a shift bid?

robison52 said...

Nope, no money is involved in a shift bid, I just bid on the shift I want via my seniority.

Sherri said...

gotta laugh at the guy going beserk and losing senority. and another dying. that's one way to move up the ladder!
good for you on the new cab.

robison52 said...

Howdy Sherri! The guy who went berserk had 28 years seniority, I hope I don't go crazy when I reach 28 years of stressful cab driving! Running is a good pressure valve that keeps me sane and from blowing my top.

LIrunner9 said...

Glad you got what you wanted:)