Tempo-pace running is designed to maximize aerobic capacity and increase aerobic efficiency. Regular threshold training enables runners to increase pace without suffering from lactic acid accumulation. Athletes should do these runs at a pace that can be maintained for 15-35 minutes. Tempo runs should be done at a pace that acclimates the athlete at, or slightly above, the anaerobic or lactate threshold.--Paul Greer's Running Weblog
Today was my first speed training for the summer, a little tempo run of three miles at my half-marathon pace of 8:06 minute miles (7.4 mph on the treadmill.)
9:30 a.m. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. Warm-up: 2 miles at 6.3 mph. Tempo: 3 miles at 7.4 mph. Cool-down: 1 mile at 6.3 mph. Average heart rate: 159 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 172 bpm. The first two miles of my tempo was tough and the last mile was a struggle! Man, I'm really out of shape!! I plan on doing one tempo run per week during this base building phase.
I'm so happy that today is Friday and I have two days off from working!! Tomorrow I'll be taking the wife to see "Phantom of the Opera" at the Venetian Hotel and Casino...nope, I'm not a big spender, received two free tickets from the Venetian because I'm a cab driver.

No comments:
Post a Comment