"The biggest difference I noticed in running an ultra is the amount of walking you do. When most people train for a marathon they want to run the whole way if possible. No one (well no one as slow as me, at least) runs a whole 50 miler the first time. I don't know for sure but I'd guess I walked close to half of my 50 and I finished okay. So one thing I'd definitely recommend is to practice walking as part of your long runs. It is a lot easier to run 30 miles either walking the uphills or walking 1 minute every six or whatever than to just run it straight."
--Andy MacGinnitie, ultramarathoner
This morning when I awoke my right ankle was slightly sure, therefore today not only will I run a Recovery Run, but also run slower as well as set the treadmill's grade to zero.
9:45 a.m. Recovery Run. 5 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at zero grade/elevation. All 5 miles were at 6.0 mph (10 minute miles). Average heart rate: 137 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 143 bpm. Took my ankle just 5 minutes to warm up and then didn't feel any soreness. After my run I quickly did a weight circuit training. Went home from the gym, took a shower and then proceeded to massage my right ankle with the shower massage head with cold water at full blast. Hopefully my ankle will feel better for tomorrow's general aerobic run.

No comments:
Post a Comment