Monday, June 2, 2008

Last "Road" Run Until Fall

Daily Quote:

Proper ‘easy’ training should feel utterly easy, like there’s no effort at all. And the obsessive don’t like that, not at all. It doesn’t feel like it’s accomplishing anything (No pain, no gain, right) so the intensity starts to climb. Where it should be an easy 130 heart rate or lower, it’ll start climbing to the aerobic range or higher. Suddenly, what should have been easy days start becoming medium days.

But it’s even more insidious than that: these medium days end up being too easy to really stimulate fitness, but too hard to allow complete recovery. It’s this weird no-man’s land that doesn’t accomplish anything good.

Which has another major consequence, without the ability to recover sufficiently, the hard days can’t be as hard. Because you can’t do a quality session when you’re tired. So the hard days start becoming medium days as well. And it all goes wrong.

The hard days can’t be hard enough, the easy days are too hard and the whole week ends up being this weird sort of medium intensity across the board.


--from the blog, "body recomposition" by Lyle McDonald.

Yesterday my 5-mile Recovery Run was ran in the mid-90's, and today's 12-Mile Medium-Long Run was in the upper 90's, hence it's now time to say good-bye to road running for the summer...my summer runs will be on the gym's treadmill.

10:30 a.m. General Aerobic Run. 12 miles. Time, 1:56 (Average Pace, 9:40 minute miles). Out and Back on Alta Road. Sunny, 93-97 degrees, Winds south at 11 mph. Average Heart Rate: 150 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 161 bpm. I pushed too hard in the heat and suffered dizziness after the run; believe I was very close to sun stroke, yup, it's time for the dreadmill throughout the duration of the summer.

2 comments:

Andrew/Dad..+ said...

Bruce,
(It's time for the ole dreamill).... At least you don't let the idea of running indoors all summer stop you from training, "that alone inspires me as a runner".... Just like my friend, Nick - (A Runners Heart), and that you surely have....
I have been experiencing some back trouble again. I barely got out of bed this morning. I'm a little short on funds right now, but as soon as I get another check that we are expecting I plan to go see someone who can do something for me. (Any-suggestions). Feel free to let me know.
I've been meaning to "blog" like I once said, but things have kept me down for the most part since then. If my ole back quits bothering me I'll "blog-a-run" as soon as I complete one, ok....
I'll keep you informed friend. My e-mail is jtornadoman@yahoo.com You can e-mail me whenever you want to, ok. As soon as my buddy nick gives me alink to his blog I'll send it to you. God-Speed & Good-Luck with the "DREADMILL"....
Your Running Friend,
Jimmy....

robison52 said...

Howdy Jimmy! How long have you had a sore back? Could it be related to something other than running? Smart to have a professional look at your back when you get that check! When I sufferer soreness I usually try RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation) that heals most soreness, my favorite ice treatment is a massage showerhead on a cord that I can hit cold water at the strongest massage heading and blast the sorenesss for about 10 minutes that often does the trick....but your injury might be more serious and such measures may not help. Don't rush the healing, better to come back to running fully healed rather than get a permanent injury.

I'll e-mail you soon and also send my phone number you requested...hang tough!!