Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Las Vegas Marathon Title Sponsor Quits

Daily Quote:

Las Vegas Marathon title sponsor quits, cites race finances

ASSOCIATED PRESS
7:31 a.m. June 3, 2008
LAS VEGAS – The title sponsor of the Las Vegas Marathon is walking away, citing financial troubles involving the race owner, Chicago-based Devine Racing.
Zappos.com sponsored the 2007 race had been expected remain on to sponsor this year's race, scheduled Dec. 7. It had an option for the 2009 race.

But spokesman Chris Peake says the Henderson-based Internet shoe and apparel company was upset to learn Devine Racing hadn't paid pay some vendors, charities and last December's men's overall winner, Christopher Cheboiboch.
Devine Racing chief executive Chris Devine issued a statement thanking Zappos.com for sponsoring the race last December, and saying he's confident a new sponsor will be found.

Devine promised last month to sell two unspecified “significant assets,” and use the proceeds to pay race bills by June 15.

The company also owns the Los Angeles and Salt Lake City marathons and the Chicago Half Marathon. Devine also has a financial interest in several radio companies.


I'm very worried that Devine Racing will cancel the upcoming Las Vegas Marathon in December due to not paying its bills and now losing their main sponsor, Zappos Shoes. I have ran the last eight Las Vegas Marathons and fear my streak will end this year. I should look for a backup marathon for this late winter or early spring.

Today is a Recovery Run. 9:30 a.m. Life Fitness Treadmill set a a 1% Grade. 5 miles. 6.1 mph (pace 9:50 minute miles) Time, 49 minutes. Average Heart Rate: 142 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 146 bpm. I adjusted surprisingly well to the treadmill after many days of running on the roads! I'll now be running on the treadmill exclusively until fall season...it's going to be a long summer!!

6 comments:

BeachRunner said...

Let's hope Devine pays their bills and the race goes on. My fingers are crossed, but having a back up plan is a good idea. And thanks for the advice you gave me back on my blog. Enjoy the treadmill.

Unknown said...

I heard about the LV Marathon especially the financial part. That sucks. I am questioning the management part of the LV Marathon. I hope this will be resolved. I think I heard that the first place runner still haven't received the winner's prize payment.
P.S. 50 more days till I arrive in LV for the first time.

Tanya said...

I hope that at the very least the race winner gets paid...

The Running Bob said...

P.F. Chang's Phoenix marathon is close by and in January if you need a winter marathon.

It's sad though about Vegas because it was one on my list as a marathon vacation.

Dolphinstreet said...

That is terrible. I ran it last year and thought it was just great. I was planning on going back this year. What to do! &*!%#@

Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may begin earning with a money that usually goes
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'll be glad to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit my pages and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]