"Perhaps the genius of ultrarunning is its supreme lack of utility. It makes--David Blaikie
no sense in a world of space ships and supercomputers to run vast distances
on foot. There is no money in it and no fame, frequently not even the
approval of peers. But as poets, apostles and philosophers have insisted
from the dawn of time, there is more to life than logic and common sense.
The ultra runners know this instinctively. And they know something else that
is lost on the sedentary. They understand, perhaps better than anyone, that
the doors to the spirit will swing open with physical effort. In running
such long and taxing distances they answer a call from the deepest realms of
their being -- a call that asks who they are ..."
My long range goal is to run my first ultra race, "2009 Labor of Love 50k," and today was curious about the attendance of this year's ultra race and discovered only 20 runners started the race with 18 finishers!! The overall winner was Scott Gilson, 37 years old from Las Vegas, he finished in 4:59:28, which was a 09:38.3 pace. The winner in my age group took 5k place overall, he's Min-Seok Chae, he's 52 years old from Lynwood, California, he finished with a time of 5:38:41, which was a 10:54.1 pace.
I've never ran a race with so few participants! During marathons when my motivation starts slipping around 20 miles and I frequently use the trick of targeting and passing other runners as to push myself harder...I may need to find another motivating tool! Since this is my first ultra race I have no time goals, but do wish to give it my best effort.
Today is my last day of Recovery Week and will end it with a Recovery Run.
10:00 a.m. Recovery Run. 6 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 3 miles at 6.4 mph and 3 miles at 6.5 mph. Average heart rate 142 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 148 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm.) Listened to Gwen Stefani's "Love. Angel. Music. Baby." CD on my Sony Sports Player. I need to add more CD's to my collection this week.
Later in the afternoon I became carried away and bowled seven practice games! I did well, six of my games were above my bowling average, the last game I was very tired and was below my bowling average.

8 comments:
Thats pretty crazy that there are only 20 entrants! The smallest race I have ever even run in was the Vegas Marathon ... I am used to a swam of people, not a trickle :)
I love your opening quote! All my races are small, but certainly not that small. Like lifestudent said-pretty crazy!
Howdy Lifestudent, Yup, the Las Vegas Marathon takes about four miles before you have any breathing room...I won't be able to complain about weaving around walkers at the beginning of an ultra race
Howdy Tanya! Although the 2008 Labor of Love was crazy small, my age group of 50-60 had was well represented with five runners! Something about us old fogeys gyrating to longer and longer distances since we no longer have great speed.
Running your first 50K sounds pretty exciting. Not much longer than a marathon, so it should be a good step to your 50 miler and later a 100 miler.
Your goals are an inspiration:)
Howdy Allen! Yup, a 50k race will be my first stepping stone for longer distance...just don't tell my wife about my long range goals, she's scared to death that I'll kill myself!!
Howdy mom2beccanallie! If someone had told me ten years ago that my goals would be to run an ultra-race I would have thought they were on drugs!!
Post a Comment