Monday, June 30, 2008

14-Miler

Daily Quote:
"Most runners come to this sport with a metabolism trained for speed: I.E. burn lots of carbohydrate fast. What you need for ultras is a metabolism trained for endurance: I.E. be stingy on carbo burning and burn fat instead. Any damn fool can run fast for 20 miles. To run well for 50 requires a specific type of response from the endocrine system. You can train your body to deliver that, but only if you run long enough to get tired and hungry. For most runners that implies doing 3 or 4 runs in the range of 25-30 miles."
--Karl King, ultramarathoner

Today I achieved a 14-miler, which is my longest run since the 2008 Boston Marathon on April 21st...I have a long way to go before I can accomplish runs in the 25-30 miles range as mentioned in the above quote, but I have plenty of time to gradually add mileage before "Labor of Love 50k" next April.

10:30 a.m. Medium-Long Run, progressive. 13 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 4 miles at 6.3 mph, 5 miles at 6.4 mph, and 5 miles at 6.5 mph. Average heart rate: 152 bpm. Cardiac Drift 161 bpm. No aches nor soreness and I appear to be fully recovered from my sore right ankle from last week as well. The gym was crowded and noisy and my Sony CD Player came in handy as I listened to "Elton John's Greatest Hits." I drank one bottle of Gatorade and could add a bottle of water to my next Medium-Long Run as well...next week I'll attempt a 15-miler!

Today I received a thank-you letter from a passenger I had in my cab two months ago. I normally give away running magazines to those in my cabs who are runners or those who had conversations with me in regards to running...John Noren from Phoenix was one of those passengers who asked how I stayed so thin driving a cab when he's 33 years old and 300 pounds...as usual I told him my story of losing weight and regaining my youth via running. At the end of the fare, I gave him my "Runner's World Magazine" that I just finished reading. I often consider myself the Johnny Appleseed of running, but I didn't expect to receive a thank you note! He stated that our chance meeting had changed his life and he's now running three times a week. Funny, I didn't think that a passenger would look me up via my magazine's mailing label, nor that I would change his life, which does give me a warm glow!

10 comments:

lifestudent said...

Thats totally amazing! I think all of us can only hope to positively impact one persons life at some point during our own.

robison52 said...

Howdy Lifestudent! No telling how your own running example can create ripples of change on those who you have had contact, whether family members, friends, or even total strangers.

Scooter said...

Bruce, that story is quite remarkable. Whether a 300 pounder should be running may be up for debate, but if he can stay healthy and stay with it, then it will truly be a great thing.

LIrunner9 said...

Hey Bruce,
Great story about that runner. Glad the ankle is feeling better and well done on the 14 miler.

BeachRunner said...

Great job on the 14 miler and what a wonderful story about how you were able to make a difference in someone's life. Keep on running and sharing your passion.

robison52 said...

Howdy Scooter! I thought the same thing when I first read about his running three days a week, I should have emphasized to him that I started exercising by walkig and it took me YEARS of running to get to my current weight of 172 pounds.

robison52 said...

Howdy mom2beccanallie! Just finished writing a response to Boscho at about.com forum site regarding my ongoing problem with the ankle. Currently my ankle is fine, but will keep a close eye on it.

robison52 said...

Howdy Beachrunner! Yup, sharing my passion is a polite way of saying it...my wife would say sharing my OBSESSION!

Tanya said...

Great story, Bruce. As you said, who knows what the ripple effect can be when you change one man's life for the better? Perhaps that man's wife or his children will be inspired to live a healthier lifestyle as well, and on and on!

The Running Bob said...

Very nice post.