Daily Quote: "Most mistakes in a race are made in the first two minutes, perhaps in the very first minute." --JACK DANIELS, EXERCISE PHYSIOLOGIST AND COACH
Today's workout is a Tempo run as scheduled in "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster" book, under Boston Marathon Qualifying Program, 3:41, pg 235 (3:40 Boston Marathon goal training schedule).
9:30 a.m. Life Fitness Treadmill set at 1% Grade. 11 mile run. Warm-up: 1 mile at 6.0 mph (10 minute mile pace). Tempo: 10 miles at 7.2 mph (8:20 minute miles). Cool-down, 10 minutes on stationary cycle at Level 8. Average heart rate: 169 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 179 bpm. (Note, my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm).
This is the longest "tempo" run I've ever accomplished...in the past most of my tempos runs were less than 45 minutes as scheduled in my previous marathon schedules in the book "Advanced Marathoning" by Pfitzinger and Douglas. I would probably call this run a steady state run, as most books would consider this too long for a tempo run. Nevertheless, a tough run as during the last two miles I was very exhausted and fighting negative thoughts to quit, happily I kept pushing and was able to finish the workout as scheduled.
I was surprised that the book's schedule didn't have a cool-down mile, I always have some sort of cool-down, decided to cool-down for ten minutes on the upright stationary cycle.
7 WEEKS UNTIL BOSTON MARATHON REPORT: FEBRUARY 25 - MARCH 2, 2008
Finished ninth week of marathon training and ran only 33 miles as I'm still following the guidelines of "FIRST Training Program" as explained in "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster" book, but rather than just doing two cross-training sessions per week I did three cross-training days this week as to promote additional weight loss.
I didn't lose nor gain any weight this week and I'm still 173 pounds on a six foot frame. I have continued not eating any red meat and eating more fruits and vegetables, but still eating too many calories, I'll strive to cut an additional 3,500 calories next week.
I completed three weight circuit training sessions last week. I'm now using free weights for biceps, triceps, chest and shoulders rather than the usual machine workouts, I'll continue using machines for the other muscle groupings. This is my second week of incorporating pull-ups into my weight lifting sessions, but still can't get past four pull-ups, maybe next week I can do five pull-ups! I often wonder whether my strength training is slowing my weight loss on the scale, nevertheless, my pants are looser and is a good sign I'm gaining heavier muscles.
I continue to sleep 7-8 hours every night. My normal morning heart rates range between 38-41 bpm, but on Thursday morning my morning heart rate soared to 55 bpm, which I attributed to the previous day's Long Run AND Hill Repeats, decided it was best to take a complete Rest Day. Friday my morning heart rate did decrease to 48 bpm, still a little high for the planned interval training, but not as high to prevent cross-training. Saturday my heart rate returned to a more normal 41 bpm and I returned to running a tough interval workout.
A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Tempo Run, 6 miles.
Tuesday: Cross-Training, weight circuit training and stationary cycling.
Wednesday: Long Run AND Hill Repeats, 20 miles.
Thursday: REST DAY
Friday: Cross-Training, weight circuit training and stationary cycling.
Saturday: Intervals, 7 miles.
Sunday: Cross-Training, weight circuit training and stationary cycling.
Total weekly running miles: 33 miles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hi Bruce,
Glad to see that your RHR went back down. I am still amazed by your training. Very motivational!! Can't wait to see how you do with Boston. I'm sure you will do GREAT!! That is a race I would LOVE to do. I went to College up there and was in the crowd watching the Boston Marathoners go by. But I have to get to NY in 2009 first. LOL One day at a time:) Keep up the great work. You're amazing!!
Oh, I forgot to mention. Weight training can slow your weight loss on a SCALE. Proof of that is the scale is staying the same, but your pants are getting looser. A way to see/show your weight loss would be to do a body fat check. But not sure if you did that before your training began, so you would have a comparison. But you definitely are losing weight: body fat!! As you know, muscle weight is more dense, and is heavier, so jumping on the scale generally does not reflect that:( But that's a good thing!!!
Post a Comment