Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Food Guide For Marathoners

Daily Quote: "Nancy Clark's Food Guide for Marathoners is perfect for athletes like me, an inexperienced, adult-onset marathoner. Nancy understands that marathoners come in all sizes and shapes. She understands their struggles with managing time, making meals, and choosing healthful foods in fast-food America." JOHN "THE PENGUIN" BINGHAM, COLUMNIST, RUNNER'S WORLD

As you probably already guessed, I bought the book, "Nancy Clark's Food Guide for Marathoners" today. Should be interesting reading as my marathoner's diet needs all the help it can get! Will post some insights from the book as I progress.

10:30 a.m. Warm-up, 10 minutes on the elliptical machine. Weight circuit training, 25 minutes. I wonder if during my taper I should cease doing weights as to recover and lose additional weight?

I quickly followed the weight circuit training with the Cross-Training Workout #1, Mode 3, as written in the book, "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster," pg 106-07.

Life Fitness Cycle: Total time 45 minutes. WORKOUT: 5 minutes easy as a warm-up; increased cadence to 100+ rpm and maintain that cadence for 30 minutes (because of the faster cadence, the effort level will be 3 on the perceived effort scale) Note: Effort Level 3 is Moderate to Hard with a noticeable increase in breathing. Followed by 10 minutes of easy running after as a cool-down. I felt very strong today, especially since yesterday was a faster Long Run. I have no aches nor pain, which is a testament to "The FIRST Training Program," but do miss the rush from running everyday.

2 comments:

LIrunner9 said...

Would love to hear a review on this book! Nutrition and streching are my weakness. Always looking to educate myself on both.

robison52 said...

My nutrition has been better the last couple of weeks as I no longer eat red meat, but on the weekends I tend to binge. Stretching is also my weakness, I would much rather start off running slowly rather than stretch...my bad, I find stretching BORING!!