Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Slower Long Run

Daily Quote: "A denial of one's wounds is like the denial of one's life--it ends in premature death. A life lived is one that not only looks at wounds but embraces them and follows them like road signs." --JIM MACLAREN, AMPUTEE ATHLETE

Today's schedule in "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster" book calls for a 20 miler with a fast pace of 8:38 minute per mile. BUT, I've decided today to disregard the scheduled pace and run by heart rate of 65-70% of MHR. I'm exhausted from a very busy work week and won't stress myself further by trying to beat my virtual training partner, Garfield (Garfield is my nickname for the Garmin Forerunner 301 virtual training partner). The only tool I'll be wearing today is my Polar Heart Rate Monitor.

8:30 a.m. (after sleeping six hours) Out and back to Red Rock Canyon. Sunny, 65-72 degrees, with little wind. I carried two bottles of Gatorade today, rather than just one bottle like the last 20 miler, and did not feel thirsty nor bonked at the end of the run. I ran comfortably, heart rate within target range of 65-70% of MHR, and finished with a time of 3:07, a pedestrian pace of 9:21 minutes per mile. I'm a little disappointed with my time, but realize this week I have too many stresses to follow the marathon schedule's Long Run to the letter. Hopefully next week I'll be back on track, although I'm running out of time before my taper.

I had plenty of time to eat a light lunch, shower and take an hour nap before I began another busy 12-hour shift. I'm very eager for my day off on Saturday!!

6 comments:

LIrunner9 said...

I'm glad you listened to your body and took it easy today. Wow, did I just say easy. You ran 20 miles!! You are doing great! I can't wait to hear how things go at Boston, and how you liked this training over previous training?

I have a question if you don't mind. Currently I am using the polar S625x HRM, and I LOVE it. I've had it about 4 years. Last year my husband got me a Forrunner 201, I love it, but I don't always like wearing two watches on my arms. Both are fairly big on my tiny wrists. LOL But they do the job. I've read reviews that the HRM on the 301 isn't very accurate? Do you find this??

I'm thinking of getting the Garmin 301, as the price has come down because of the new 405 that just came out. Aside from that the 301 has a HRM, is there a BIG difference between the 201 and the 301, that would warrent an upgrade for me? Also, can you use the 301 without the HRM??? I guess what I'm getting at is, do you think the 301 is better at locating the satelite signal, than the 201? I have read that the 405 is MUCH better at acquiring a signal, but being a stay at home mom, my husband and I just can't justify the cost for the 405:(

Not sure if I made myself clear, hope so. THanks!

robison52 said...

Howdy Joanne!

I had also previously owned the Garmin 201, the 201 eventually wore out and rather paying to fix it decided to purchase the Garmin 301.

I find that the signal on the 301 has much better reception and the watch size is more compact. Also, the HRM on the 301 does the job as well as my Polar HRM Watch and just as accurate.

When I had wore the Garmin 201 I would often run with my Polar HRM on my other wrist with no problems, like you said, it did the job. That said, when wearing the Garmin 301 if I take the chest strap off, it doesn't record HRM, but the other functions like mileage, pace, maps etc. still works.

I would also like to purchase the Garmin 405 someday, maybe whenever my 301 goes KAPUT...of course, by then maybe they'll have some newer model called Garmin 510!?!

I always seem to be behind the curve with the newer technology, by the time I purchase a gadget, a few months later a better gadget comes along.

Anyways, the 301 difference isn't that big from the 201, if it doesn't bother you wearing the Polar HRM on your other wrist I would hold off until your 201 wears out and purchase the 405 at a later date.

LIrunner9 said...

Very cool. I'm glad I asked. Except I made a mistake. I have the 101. LOL But you answered my quesions perfectly!! I don't particularly like wearing two watches, but I would if I had to. The main reason I would upgrade to the 301 now, is for the better signal. Having the HRM would be a bonus, and it's nice to hear you haven't had any troubles with it. Thanks!! I'll start shopping around and see what I come up with.

LIrunner9 said...

Well, I found it for $132 with no shipping. I pick it up at my local store in about 2 weeks!! That's the lowest price I could find. I looked online everywhere. LOL I think I did pretty well:) I think retail is $225. The prices have really come down since the new 405 is out (with HRM coming out). YEAH!!!!

robison52 said...

Howdy Joanne!
You found a fantastic deal, it's more like a STEAL!! I spent much more on my Garmin. You're going to be very happy once you start running with it!!!

LIrunner9 said...

Here's hoping when it arrives, it arrives in one piece, and IS the 301. That is why I wanted it delievered to the store, in the event there was a problem, I could get it resolved ASAP. I'll keep you posted. I have to admit, I am getting excited about it though. Oh, I got it through walmart.com