Monday, March 17, 2008

5 Weeks Until Boston

Daily Quote: "Running gave me the foundation from which to remember that on day 67 of an expedition--while pulling a heavy sled across Antarctica--it's about putting one foot in front of the other." --ANN BANCROFT, ARCTIC EXPLORER

Today I've decided to switch training days, normally today would be a Tempo Run, but better is a Long Run as to give me more recovery days before Saturday's 5k race on March 29th, which is the "Run Away with Cirque du Soleil at the Springs Preserve 5k" (What a long name for a short race!) Another thought, my upcoming Boston Marathon in April is also on Patriot's Day, a Monday, which makes a Long Run today even more apropos.

Today's schedule in "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster" book calls for a 15 miler with a fast pace of 8:33 minute per mile. Set my Garmin Forerunner 301 virtual partner (nicknamed "Garfield") for the goal time and set off on my usual out-and-back course on Torrey Pines that partly traverses the Las Vegas Marathon route. 8:30 a.m., nice weather, sunny, 53-55 degrees with winds SW at 3 mph...couldn't ask for better weather. Heart rate was in the 75% zone and suffered no problems, managed to beat Garfield by one minute with plenty of energy in my tank. Mission Accomplished!!

FIVE WEEKS UNTIL BOSTON MARATHON REPORT: MARCH 10-16, 2008

I've been lax with my blog last week as I was overwhelmed with work. Finished eleventh week of marathon training and ran only 32 miles as I'm still following the guidelines of "FIRST Training Program" as explained in "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster" book, but rather than just doing two cross-training sessions per week I did three cross-training days last week as to promote additional weight loss.

I didn't gain nor lose any weight last week, I'm still 172 pounds on a six foot frame. I have continued not eating any red meat and eating more fruits and vegetables, but last Saturday I did pig out on chocolate chip ice cream, which might explain why I didn't lose any weight. I will strive to behave myself next weekend.

I completed only two sessions of weight circuit training as I ran out of energy, time, and motivation due to huge convention week. I will return to three days of weights this week.

My sleep patterns wasn't perfect, one day I only managed four hours of sleep due to waking early for my Long Run, but did accomplish 7-8 hours of sleep the rest of the week. My morning heart rates have been slightly elevated to 44-47 bpm. (My normal morning heart rates has been 39-43 bpm.) I should be able to sleep better this week as Las Vegas has no major conventions.

A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Tempo Run, 6 miles.
Tuesday: Cross-training, stationary cycle.
Wednesday: Long Run, 20 miles.
Thursday: Cross-training, weight circuit training and stationary cycle.
Friday: Intervals, 6 miles.
Saturday: Rest Day.
Sunday: Cross-training, weight circuit training and stationary cycle.
Total running miles: 32 miles.

8 comments:

LIrunner9 said...

Hey Bruce,
Training is looking good! Good move on switching up the days, as Boston will be on a Monday.

That is the hardest thing for me to do. Switch up days, based on when a race is scheduled for? But I guess in time/practice, I will learn how to do it. Taper is also a tuffy for me. How do you do it? LOL

Can you set your Garmin to record mile splits, that show what your HR range per mile was?? That is a feature of my polar that I LOVE!! When analyzing my runs after a workout. I can actually say I ran Mile 1 in 10:20, and my AHR was 145, and my MaxHR was 150, or whatever, and so on. Can this be done on the 301??

Also, can you have the virtual partner going as well as your mile lap/splits?? can they work simultaneously??

Keep up the great work!

LIrunner9 said...

oops, just realized you may not realize it's me. I changed the name of my title on my blog to my kids name instead of my real name. Didn't realize it would transfer over to when I was leaving comments. LOL But it's me, Joanne

robison52 said...

Howdy mom2beccanallie! (WHEW, what a long handle!!) I knew it was you Joanne as I recognized your profile photo :)

Yup, I can and do set my Garmin 301 to record mile splits that shows what my heart range per mile was...AND I can also have it set within the perimeters of the virtual training partner.

Normally, I wouldn't look at the heart rate splits until after my run as to analyze the data, but I do focus on my pace during my runs as to beat "Garfield" my virtual partner.

LIrunner9 said...

I agree, I don't want to see the HR info while running (other than to know I'm not going above a certain #/%) just to analyze afterwards. But to know that the Garmin does what my polar does, it great. Asked so I would know I don't have to wear the Polar, once my 301 arrives:) NICE!!

You say "AND I can also have it set within the perimeters of the virtual training partner"

Is this hard to figure out? I really would like to be able to do this. And I really want to be able to track my pace while running. Something I just can't figure out how to do with my 101. Not sure if it will do it? or I'm just clueless:(

robison52 said...

Howdy Joanne!
Once you get your new Garmin, the manual will make it all very simple and clear. Yup, you can have the virtual training partner running, but you need to toggle the watch to see heart rate, mileage, pace, etc...very easy to accomplish. I strive to keep things simple when I'm running...just keeping pace with "Garfield" is more than enough distraction and motivation.

LIrunner9 said...

Wow, I just figured it out on my 101. I don't have a manual, but downloaded it from the garmin website. And read it word for word. I'm psyched for my run tomorrow. Can't believe it had this the whole time and I never new it. When you set Garfield, how do you do it? By distance and time? Time and pace?? or distance & pace? I'm guessing by distance and pace, because if you don't make the time, the unit would end the workout, no?? Just curious. I will set mine to distance and pace tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks so much. You've really helped alot. I can't wait for the 301!!

robison52 said...

Howdy! Indeed, I set "Garfield" for distance and time, and you can "toggle" the other split windows screens for additional information if you wish as you run. You'll understand the feature of "toggle" when you get your new 301! Are you going to name your "virtual training partner?"

LIrunner9 said...

Yeah, I will most definitely name my virtual partner, but you took the best name. Now, I have some thinking to do...:)