Daily Quote: "Many ultra runners swear by ibuprofen for muscle soreness, but 'vitamin I' actually does more harm than good. A 2005 study tracked ibuprofen use at the 100-mile Western States Endurance Run. The pills failed to reduce muscle pain or soreness, and blood tests revealed that ibuprofen takers actually had greater levels of inflammation than those who passed on the drug. Bottom line: 'There is absolutely no reason for runners to be using ibuprofen." -Dr. David Nieman, from Runner's World (England Version) July 2008, pg 79.
I've been using ibuprofen after my hard training runs, races, and had planned on using "Vitamin I" during my upcoming ultra race next April. Now, I'm having second thoughts and will be discontinuing my use of ibuprofen in the future.
In keeping with my plan of having an easy Recovery Week, I've even reduced my usual 6-mile Recovery Run to five miles.
10:00 a.m. Recovery Run. 5 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. All five miles at 6.3 mph (Pace, 9:31 minute miles). Average heart rate: 141 bpm. Cardiac Drift 145 bpm. Run was very comfortable and easy. Drank one small bottle of water during the run, but could have drank a little more.
After my run jumped into my weight circuit training with extra vigor...amazing how much energy I have after running only five miles!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Great Run Man....
Keep On Trucking....
"Happy-Trails" - Bruce,
Your Friend, Jimmy....
Good-Luck Running....
"God-Bless-You-&-Your-Wife"....
Great "Weight-Circuit-Training" Too....
Jimmy....
Great workout.
Post a Comment