Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I Feel the need for SPEED!

Daily Quote: "If you're already trying to shed some pounds, here's more incentive: Research has shown that, on average, runners get two seconds per mile faster for every pound they lose. So, for example, a 10-pound weight loss would shave about one minute off your 5K race time." --Christine Luff, about.com running/jogging guide

I've lost a couple of pounds and often wonder what's my current 5k speed. I haven't ran a 5k race since last year as my emphasis this year was training for the 2008 Boston Marathon and later building a large mileage base during the summer. Maybe I could add a 5k race this fall as to make my marathon pace feel more comfortable.

Today I was mentally prepared for some hurting, raising my tempo speed to 7.8 mph, which is a pace of 7:42 minute miles. (My 10k pace is 7:40 minute miles). I haven't ran a 10k race this year either and was a little worried that I've lost some speed during my summer base building.

9:30 a.m. Tempo Run, 7 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. Warm-up: 2 miles at 6.3 mph (9:31 minute miles). Tempo: 3 miles at 7.8 mph (7:42 minute miles). Cool-down: 2 mile at 6.3 mph. Average heart rate: 157 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 179 bpm. (Note: My maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) The run wasn't as painful as I imagined it would be, no aches nor pain, but plenty of negative thoughts concerning stopping and/or lowering speed as I was getting very tired. Next week I plan on the same speed with an extra mile of tempo running.

2 comments:

BeachRunner said...

Nice speedwork and impressive numbers. You are doing great.

Sherri said...

sounds like you haven't lost any speed!