Daily Quote: "A hot spot could be a pus-filled bulge in minutes, so react to problems right away. Try pre-emptively taping toes and heels and lubing chafe-prone areas. Wear lightweight gaiters to keep rocks and dirt out of your shoes, and have dry shoes and socks waiting at a midway aid station in case your feet get wet." --Christie Aschwanden, Runner's World (England edition), July 2008, pg 79
The above quote is disconcerting as I don't even have one pair of trail running shoes, yet I should have an extra pair waiting at the midway aid station! I've read that the fire road at the "Labor of Love 50k" could be wet and/or washed out due to the springtime thawing of the snow capped mountains, hence having an extra dry pair of shoes makes sense. I need to start researching on what is the best trail shoe for me soon. Also, lightweight gaiters sounds like a must as well, I don't ever remember seeing gaiters at my local running shoe store, might be something I have to order. My initial ultra race may be expensive, but once I have all the materials I won't need to purchase them again for awhile. Later in the article Christie also mentions the need for a LED headlamp for those ultras involve racing in the dark, thankfully my short 50k (31 mile) race will all be done in the sunshine.
Today is normally my Medium Long Run so the weekend would be just short runs and I can spend more time with the wife, but since I'm still in Recovery Week, I opted for a General Aerobic Run instead.
10:00 a.m. General Aerobic Run, Progressive. 8 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 4 miles at 6.5 mph (pace, 9:14 minute miles) and last 4 miles at 6.6 mph (pace, 9:06 minute miles.) Average heart rate: 147 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 152 bpm. No aches nor pain and could easily have gone faster and longer, but that would defeat the purpose of a Recovery Week. I'm already looking forward to harder workouts next week, which is a very good sign for my recovery.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Great Blog. Keep Up The Ole Training. God Bless. Jimmy....
You should be able to find gaiters at your local camping/hiking store. I am, though, surprised that runners would wear gaiters.
Gaiters will keep the lower part of your legs dry, but your shoes and socks will still get wet, and I don't understand the reason for the gaiters. Will you be wearing long running pants? If so, then I understand why you'd be wearing gaiters. The gaiters I used for hiking in New England were nylon, and I used them in the winter. A silicone spray kept them water resistant.
Here is a training "suggestion" for you when you return to the roads in the Fall. Stand in a pan of water to get your shoes and socks wet and then go for a run to see if having wet shoes and socks will be a problem for you. There is one place in my run on the Jordan River Parkway that floods during the Spring, and I found I could just walk through the water (about 4-5 inches deep) and then continue my run. Having wet socks and shoes didn't pose a problem for me.
Post a Comment