Sunday, August 3, 2008

SUMMARY, JULY 28 - AUGUST 3, 2008

Daily Quote:
"Dividing up your run into smaller segments will make the distance feel much more manageable. For example, if you're running 20 miles, think, 'OK, it's four 5-mile runs.' At the start of each new segment, visualize yourself just starting out on a new run with fresh legs and just focus on getting to the end of that segment."
--Christine Luff, About.com Guide to Running.

I often use the above quotes tactic of breaking up the long run into smaller segments and does make the run mentally easier. My gym's treadmill auto-stops after 60 minutes and rather than get frustrated with resetting the treadmill, I use this time to mentally give me a pep talk for the next 60 minute segment.

Yesterday I ran my typical Recovery Run of six miles at at 6.3 mph (Pace, 9:31 minute miles) that went very well.

Today is a General Aerobic Run, Progressive. 8 miles. 10:00 a.m. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 4 miles at 6.3 mph (Pace, 9:31 minute miles) and last four miles at 6.4 mph (Pace, 9:22 minute miles). Average heart rate: 143 bpm. Cardiac drift: 149 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart is 190 bpm). No aches nor pain and considering raising the mileage of next Sunday's General Aerobic Run to 9 miles.

SUMMARY FOR WEEK OF JULY 28 - AUGUST 3, 2008

Finished second week of four week training block (I'll increase mileage for three weeks then the fourth week is a recovery week) and ran a total of 64 miles. This is my highest weekly mileage this year! Again, I ran seven days last week. Only one more harder week then I can have a much needed recovery week.

I should note that today the Las Vegas Marathon is exactly 18 weeks away, but won't start marathon training until the beginning of September when I return to the roads and cooler temperatures, for now I'll continue building base miles on the treadmill. I won't be using the "FIRST Training Program" schedules of last Spring, I've decided to return to the "Advanced Marathoning" book's schedules (by Pfitzinger and Douglas) that was helpful in my accomplishing two Boston Qualifiers.

I lost THREE POUNDS last week, I'm now 173 pounds on a six foot frame. My plan was to lose only one pound per week as to avoid the dreaded yo-yo effect, but I'm not really complaining as the loss makes my reaching the 165 pound goal for the Las Vegas Marathon more of a reality.

I've accomplished three sessions of weight circuit training last week, which I believe has helped me to lose weight as well; I'm not lifting heavy weights for mass, but lighter weights and higher repetitions as to gain lean muscle and strength.

I've been averaging 7-8 hours of sleep nightly, with the occasional cat naps after hard workouts. My morning heart rates have remained low, about 39-41 bpm.

A short recap of last week's runs:
Monday: Long Run, Progressive, 17 miles.
Tuesday: Recovery Run, 6 miles.
Wednesday: Tempo Run, 7 miles.
Thursday: Recovery Run, 6 miles.
Friday: Medium-Long Run, Progressive, 14 miles.
Saturday: Recovery Run, 6 miles.
Sunday: General Aerobic Run, Progressive, 8 miles.
Total Weekly Mileage: 64 miles.

4 comments:

BeachRunner said...

Congrats on the weight loss. Great job. Your training plan is so well thought out and you are very disciplined in executing the plan. Keep up the great work.

Andrew/Dad..+ said...

Bruce,
Congrats on all your accomplishments last week. (I'm 170 on a 6ft frame).
I can't wait until I get my long run back up a little. But just trudging along, I can still see some progress. (That gives me more insentive to step out the door). You Know - "I can't give up now".
About the Asics DS. They still feel great on my feet, but compared to the new SD Turbo with only 80's on them I can feel the difference. Plus the new ones are not as light, but the newness feels great.
About trail shoes. Nick told me once that he started out wearing regular running shoes, but it was when he decided to buy his first pair of trail shoes that he never looked back. (That they made a world of difference on his feet in the ultra's. asicsman@hotmail.com is his email address. Just tell him you e-mail Jimmy Jtornadoman Jacobs alot and I told him to email you about ultra's. That is if you want to.
As far as my running goes. the Creeper Trail used to be a rail road. Later they took the tracks up when the train quit running and made a trail. If it was a more technical trail I would buy some trail shoes for sure. But it's got a cinder surface, and mostly flat from Abingdon so I think what I'm wearing is fine.
I want to try an ultra too sometime. But For me I hope to trail well from now on until the Varmint Half Marathon next year and run it again. Not all out but faster, and then hit the Grandfather Mountain Marathon in Boone North Carolina next July, which is 49 weeks from now. Why???? I want to experience another marathon before I start training for an ultra, because I haven't finished one since July 12, 2003. I'm a runner, and I know what I need to do. If I can't get in shape to run a descent marathon, I can't run an Ultra. (I think that is smart thinking too). What Do You Think????
Well that's it Bruce. Keep up the great running, & God Bless You and Yours Is My Prayer....
Your Virginia/Runner Friend,
Jimmy.... PS. E-mail Nick. He has an online coach that has ran like a 2:19 marathon, and is near the top in ultra running. He may answer some questions you might have. If nothing else you can talk to great guy, and he can do the same = "You".... See You....

Sherri said...

weight loss happens. guess that is a good thing. I put on a pair of pants out of my closet that I haven't worn since last summer. They are over an inch too big in the waist. wow.
"strip" quilt - lol ! I never had THAT thought before.

Anonymous said...

Nick Whited At "It" Again..."It" is lying about his times.

Help - please. Can anyone out there verify this Bozo's claims?

http://www.howardnippert.com/nwhited.php

It is hard to believe that someone who ran only 16:43 on his best day (which I don't believe anyways) actually ran 2:27 in an officially sanctioned marathon.

So please - step up and verify the veracity of this Bozo's statement. For I do not have a choice in believing such list. The list is clearly as true as the statement that Iran only wants peace in the Middle East