"As the mother of a 3-year-old with a busy professional life, Lewy Boulet does much of her training on the treadmill out of necessity. Daniels, who has researched treadmill running for more than 40 years, says this could help her in Beijing. 'One of the advantages of training on the treadmill is that it's always warm and humid,' he explains. 'You build up a little mini layer of hot, humid air right around your body after about 20 minutes, and the rest of the time you're just running in the heat and humidity. I don't care if the room is 70 degrees -- it's not 70 degrees right around your body.'"--Article, "Beijing Bound," by Scott Douglas, "Running Times Magazine," September 2008, pg 46.
I often would use Christine Clark as an example of a Olympic runner utilizing the treadmill to great success, now I have the above example of Lewy Boulet too. Funny how I live in the dry, hot climate of Las Vegas, but train in the wet, humid conditions of my gym's treadmill!
10:00 a.m. Medium-Long Run, Progressive. 14 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 7 miles at 6.4 mph (Pace: 9:22 minute miles) and last 7 miles at 6.5 mph (9:14 minute miles). Average heart rate: 147 bpm. Cardiac drift: 155 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart is 190 bpm).
I felt strong with plenty of energy to even run longer! No complaints from my body, not even a whimper. Listened to the CD Clarence Clemons, "Temple of Soul - Live in Asbury Park Vol. II," which helped me finish with no negative thoughts. I'm looking forward to training easier with shorter runs this weekend and will be ready for my Long Run on Monday!

1 comment:
Having to run on the treadmill this week on vacation I have gained much more respect for all the treadmill running you do. Great job on the 14.
Post a Comment