Daily Quote: "The marathon's about being in contention over the last 10K. That's when it's about what you have in your core. You have run all the strength, all the superficial fitness out of yourself, and it really comes down to what's left inside you. To be able to draw deep and pull something out of yourself is one of the most tremendous things about the marathon." --Rob de Castella
I'm a little behind on my blog as I strive to watch the Olympics and still maintain my running as well as working 12 hour days.
9:30 a.m. Today was a General Aerobic Run, Progressive, 8 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 4 miles at 6.5 mph (pace, 9:14 minute miles) and last 4 miles at 6.6 mph (pace, 9:06 minute miles.) Average heart rate: 144 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 148 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm.) My run went really well and should increase my speed for my next General Aerobic Run.
Big day on Monday!! I hope to awake very early tomorrow morning to run a 20-miler and afterwards my wife will drive us to Utah for a very short vacation, we should be home by Wednesday night. Hopefully I'll be able to maintain my training, but on the roads or trails!!
SUMMARY FOR WEEK OF AUGUST 18-24, 2008
Finished first week of two week base building block (I start my Las Vegas Marathon training on September 1st.) I ran a total of 66 miles and somehow managed to run seven days this week, yesterday I was tempted to take off from running due to many errands, chores, and watching the Olympics...found a little time in the afternoon to hit the gym for a quick 5-miler. It's going to be a tough week to increase my mileage as I'll be on vacation, I'll just do the best I can.
I'm currently 173 pounds on a six foot frame and my goal is to reach my racing weight of 165 pounds for the 2008 Las Vegas Marathon. I haven't been focusing on my diet, the truth be told, I'm always hungry even though I eat something every four hours! Food is my fuel and I also need the calories to rebuild my muscles from all this mileage. My body has this set point of 173-175 pounds that's difficult to budge, I'll strive to be more aware of what and how much I'm eating this coming week.
I've accomplished three sessions of weight circuit training, but instead of doing weights after my Recovery Runs I'm now doing them immediately after work; I'm attempting to acclimate my body to exercise twice a day in preparation for doing "doubles" (running twice a day) during my upcoming marathon training.
Thursday and Friday I only managed to get about 4-5 hours of sleep, while the rest of the week I did accomplish my normal 7-8 hours of sleep. My morning heart rates have been good during the first half of the week, 37-42 bpm, not surprisingly at the end of the week my morning heart rates have soared to 50-52 bpm. I've been under stress from work and my heart rates have reflected that stress and lack of sleep. My vacation next week should get me back on track with plenty of sleep.
A short recap of last week's runs:
Monday: Long Run, 19 miles.
Tuesday: Recovery Run, 6 miles.
Wednesday: Tempo Run, 7 miles.
Thursday: Recovery Run, 6 miles.
Friday: Medium Long Run, 15 miles.
Saturday: Recovery Run, 5 miles.
Sunday: General Aerobic Run, 8 miles.
Total Weekly Mileage: 66 miles
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
If you run while in Cedar, take it easy. You'll be at 5800 feet elevation and temperature probably in the 80s.
Utah is beautiful. Enjoy your time there! Yes, I plan to wear the snorkel during the tri. It's allowed by the rules and I'm faster with it. I just can't get the whole breating thing down. It will be fun to actually try the race. I am slow at swimming too but still thought I would give it a go.
Oh, and I love the Olymipics too! But glad they are over so I can catch up on my sleep! Late nights staying up watching it all.
Have a great vacation-you've earned it!
Very nice mileage. What is greatest weekly mileage at the pinnacle of your training for the ultra?
Enjoy your vacay in Utah!!
Enjoy your vacation!! You are doing a great job with all the running.
Post a Comment