Daily Quote: "When I was twelve years old I wanted to be a cheerleader. Like many pre-pubescent girls I thought if I were a cheerleader I would be popular and boys would ask me out and I would end up dating the captain of the football team. When I told my dad of my aspiration he looked at me and said, 'You don't want to be a cheerleader. That's silly. Life is for participating not spectating. The cheerleaders lead cheers. You should play sports and have people cheer for you." --Katherine Switzer
Bought Katherine Switzer's new book, "Marathon Woman: Running the Race to Revolutionize Women's Sports," , Katherine ran the Boston Marathon in 1967 where she was attacked by one of the event’s directors who wanted to eject her from the all-male race. She fought off the director and finished the race. Should be an interesting read, especially since I'll be running the same course this coming April!
Today is a Tempo Run.
10 miles. Time, 1:26 minutes. Overall pace, 8:36 minute miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at 1% grade. Warm up: 2 mile @ 6.0 mph. Tempo: 6 miles at 7.8 mph (7:42 minute miles). Cool down: 2 mile @ 6.0 mph. Average heart rate: 159 bpm. Cardiac Drift, 179 bpm. The exact same workout as last week, but my heart rates are much lower, undoubtedly due to last week I ran "doubles" and didn't have much sleep either. My Double running days will now be on Recovery Days which will be less stressful on my body.
Next week should I increase my speed or mileage? Since I have a 10k race at the end of August, maybe I should do intervals at 10k speed? Decisions, decisions!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment