Monday, August 31, 2009

Music

Daily Quote: "I decided to download my new CDs in their entirety. 'What's Going On' (by Marvin Gaye) is more than the sum of its parts. The songs literally flow together, and so it's butchery to separate them. The new Animal Collective album, 'Merriweather Post Pavilion' is a similar listening experience. For others, like the new Dave Matthews or the most recent Beck, my new approach means that I hear the entire album instead of just a few selected songs." --Tamara Rice Lave, Running Times Magazine, article, "My New Running Partner," October 2009, pg 16.

I don't own any of those fancy Ipod or MP3 toys, I still have my old Sony Walkman CD Player that I listen to when I'm on the treadmill. The old player doesn't have a shuffle mode or thousands of stored songs, but my local library has hundreds of CDs to checkout and currently I'm listening to these three CDs this week:
  • "Hot Rats," by Frank Zappa.
  • "As Far As I Can See," by The Zombies. (Colin Blunstone and Rod Argent)
  • "Living With War," by Neil Young.

Today is a Lactate Threshold Run, but since this is a Recovery Week, when I reduce the volume (mileage) and maintain intensity, it'll only be 5 miles instead of last week's 9 miles.

8:00 a.m. Lactate Threshold Workout. 5 miles. 24 Hour Fitness at Rainbow and Alta. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 1 mile warmup at 6.1 mph (9:50 minute miles.) 3 miles at 7.6 mph (7:54 minute miles.) 1 mile cooldown at 6.1 mph (9:50 minute miles.) Average heart rate, 156 bpm. Cardiac drift, 179 bpm. Shoes: New Balance 720.

Body feels great! I hungered for more, and was difficult to stick with my cut-back plan, this hunger is a good sign that I'm not overtrained.


3 comments:

lifestudent said...

That is definitely a sign that your training is going well!

Tanya said...

Great job on the workout-I just got my email confirmation for my registration in the marathon-woohoo!

greentigress said...

Sounds amazing to do an Easy lactate threshold run of 5 miles!