Wednesday, August 19, 2009

18 Miler!!

Daily Quote: "The long run should, as much as possible, approximate the course on which you will run your marathon. If the marathon you've entered is an urban one, at least half of your long runs should be don on urban courses so that your body can become used to and familiar with the challenges of urban running, especially the uneven and interrupted running surface." --Richard Benyo, from this book, "Making the Marathon Your Event."

I'm still running on the treadmill, today's outside temperature was 105 degrees, but hope to be back on the roads in September. The new "2009 RNR Las Vegas Marathon" course no longer passes near my home in NW Las Vegas, the closest point to my home are the cross streets of Torrey Pines Road and Lindell Road, which is four miles away.

Today is my longest run of the year, an 18 miler!!

8:00 a.m. Long Run, Progressive. 24 Hour Fitness, Rainbow & Alta. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. Time, 2:44. Overall pace, 9:07 minute miles. First four miles at 6.4 mph (9:22 minute miles), four miles at 6.5 mph (9:14 minute miles), four miles at 6.6 mph (9:06 minute miles), four miles at 6.7 mph (8:57 minute miles), and the last two miles was at 6.8 mph (8:49 minute miles). Average heart rate 154 bpm. Cardiac drift, 160 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) Shoes: Nike Air Structures.

No aches nor pain and run felt comfortable until the last two miles when I became very tired and had to fight negative thoughts of ending the run. The gym was warmer than usual and drank the whole 32 ounce bottle of Cytomax by mile 16; should bring about 16 ounces of more fluids next week

Next week I'll attempt a 19 miler, but at a little faster speed.

5 comments:

The Running Bob said...

Running along the strip may be interesting. I wonder if they'll close traffic in both directions or just one side of the divided road.

Lactate threshold -- probably, something I need to investigate if it increases it.

greentigress said...

You want to go FASTER than 9.22 min miles??
LOL I would like to try and do 9.22 min miles just for fun to see how long i could keep it up LOL,
you're doing very well!!
glad to hear you are doing well without injury or aches and pains

Dustie said...

you are amazing.

Anonymous said...

Great job! I don't know how you can run on the treadmill for so long. You rock. However, trying to running any distance in 105 isn't safe.

Unknown said...

I want to make sure I get this right... You ran 1-8 miles on theTREADMILL ??? I don't know how anyone could do this !!! You are one amazing dude !!