Daily Quote: "It's good to be loaded [on carbohydrates] for a hot-weather race or workout, from both a hydration standpoint and an energy standpoint. The body stores 2.7 grams of water for every gram of carbohydrate. A lot of people are chronically dehydrated. People just have a tendency to avoid drinking water." --Kyle Heffner, exercise physiologist, and a friendly rival of Rodgers in the 1970s and '80s. Quoted from Running Times Magazine, article "Running Hot, How To Stay Hydrated On Long Summer Runs" July/August 2009, pg 26.
My own hydration experiments this summer on the treadmill is going well. I've been testing the hydration beverage, Cytomax (that will be on the 2009 RNR Las Vegas Marathon course) and discover I no longer need to take along Sport Beans as Cytomax covers all my energy needs. I've been drinking about 16 ounces of Cytomax per hour, but may not need as much beverage during the marathon. Since the gym's temperature is around mid 70's Fahrenheit it's warmer than my marathon in December, which normally starts around the low 40's and ends around mid 60's, I may not need to take Cytomax as often. During the race itself I'll allow my thirst be my guide and strive to drink a small swallow every two miles.
Both Thursday and Friday were Recovery Runs of five miles each, today is a Medium-Long Run at a faster progressive pace. During base training I would have ran my Long Run on Wednesday and my Medium-Long Run on Friday with just one rest day between, but during marathon training with longer miles and faster speeds my old body needs two consecutive Recovery Runs, hence the Medium-Long Run is pushed to Saturdays. I'll strive to start these Saturday runs as soon as possible with the hopes my wife sleeps later and doesn't feel deprived.
8:00 a.m. Medium-Long Run, Progressive. 12 miles. Time, 1:49. Overall pace, 9:12 minute miles. 24 Hour Fitness at Rainbow and Alta. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 6 miles at 6.5 mph (9:14 minute miles), last 6 miles at 6.6 mph (9:06 minute miles). Average heart rate: 149 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 154 bpm. Shoes: Nike Air Structures.
Body felt strong and comfortable with the faster pace, next week will increase the Medium-Long Run speed a tad faster as my body slowly adapts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment