Daily Quote: "Lactate threshold training should be run at close to the pace that your currently race for 1 hour. For serious marathoners, this is generally 15k to half marathon race pace. Slower runners should run closer to 15k race pace on tempo runs; faster runners should run closer to half marathon race pace. This should be the intensity at which lactate is just starting to accumulate in your muscles and blood." --Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas in the excellent book, "Advanced Marathoning."
I prefer doing my speedwork on Monday morning as I can get to bed earlier on Sunday night and with a relaxing Sunday can prepare mentally for a harder than usual workout for Monday.
8:00 a.m. Lactate Threshold Workout. 9 miles. 24 Hour Fitness at Rainbow and Alta. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 2 mile warmup at 6.1 mph (9:50 minute miles.) 4 miles at 7.6 mph (7:54 minute miles.) 3 mile cooldown at 6.1 mph (9:50 minute miles.) Average heart rate, 156 bpm. Cardiac drift, 179 bpm. Shoes: New Balance 720.
Felt great to run much faster than my usual paces, felt hard, but could have run even faster. Depending how my body feels, I may increase my speed to 7.7 mph (7.48 minute miles) next week. I might be running faster with less effort as I'm now lighter, I'm currently 171 pounds...wonder how I would feel at 165 pounds?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment