Monday, August 10, 2009

First Day of Marathon Training

Daily Quote: "Besides gaining enough baseline endurance to complete the distance, now your concerns turn to matters such as how fast to do your long runs, what types of interval sessions to do, how to manipulate your diet for maximum performance, how to schedule hard workouts to allow both progress and recovery, and so on." --Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas, from their book "Advanced Marathoning," which is my main marathon training source.

I'll be roughly incorporating the marathon training schedules in the book "Advanced Marathoning" for my upcoming "2009 Rock n' Roll Las Vegas Marathon," changing distances and speed workouts depending how my body reacts. I have only 17 more weeks before the marathon!!

My base training is now over and will focus less on hill programs and more on speed drills like strides, tempo runs, and intervals as my marathon training gains momentum.

8:00 a.m. General aerobic + speed. 24 Hour Fitness Gym on Rainbow and Alta, Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 8 miles at 6.6 mph with 10 x 100 meter strides at 9.0 mph. Average heart rate, 151 bpm. Cardiac drift, 177 bpm. Shoes, Nike Air Structures.

I felt eager and strong throughout the run with no aches nor pain...all systems are GO!!

4 comments:

Deleted said...

Good luck with your training. Although you a much more advanced runner than I am, I am still very much looking forward to tracking your training. If all goes well with my half, I'm pretty sure I'll set my sights on a full marathon and I know your expertise will become a valuable tool for me. Thanks for sharing and God bless! Stay heathy and strong!

Funnyrunner said...

good luck! I've read a lot of Matt Fitzgerald's books and I'm currently using one of his plans. It's a 24-weeker. whew.

greentigress said...

Fantastic Bruce!
Congrats on signing up for another marathon!!!
Looking forward to hearing about it... Have somehow managed to post on here for first time in ages! great for the computer glitch to iron itself out!!

Val said...

Wtg on starting your training! Good luck and I look forward to reading all about it.

It's good to be back!