Monday, August 17, 2009

Strength Training

Daily Quote: "Resistance training can improve running performance by increasing the force that your slow-twitch muscle fibers develop. This requires relatively low resistance and high repetitions. Lifting to increase muscle size is counterproductive to endurance (and particularly marathon) performance. --Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas, from their excellent book, "Advanced Marathoning."

Bosco had asked me about my own weight circuit training at about.com running/jogging forum site, the following is my response:

Howdy Boscho!
I'm happy to answer your questions, but it's probably as boring to read as watching paint dry!
My gym, 24 Hour Fitness, has a weight circuit training program called "Xpress Zone," which is a series of exercises designed in a specific order to maximize a full-body workout in a short period of time. It is designed to incorporate strength training and cardio simultaneously. The Xpress Zone is designed as a circuit, 10 machines set in a semi circle, and I'll go from exercise to exercise in a predetermined order. The Xpress Zone is designed to last 24 minutes -- 2 complete circuits of 15 reps, but I must admit some days the circuit would take me about 30 minutes.
I'm a little embarrassed at the poundage of the weights, keep in mind I'm not trying to build bulk, but strength...and I'm 57 years old. The following is the order of the circuits and the weights I'm currently lifting:
1. Abdominal Crunch, inclined bench, 25 reps.
2. Leg Press, 120 pounds, 15 reps.
3. Leg Extension, 75 pounds, 15 reps.
4. Leg Curl, 70 pounds, 15 reps.
5. Chest Press, 70 pounds, 15 reps.
6. Shoulder Press, 40 pounds, 15 reps.
7. Tricep Extension, 50 pounds, 15 reps.
8. Lat Pull, 90 pounds, 15 reps.
9. Bicep Curl, 50 pounds, 15 reps.
10. Low back extension, 25 reps.
I normally strive to do three weight circuit session per week, but during marathon training season I'll just do two sessions. June I had problems with a sore right shoulder and stopped upper body workouts for three weeks; I did continue doing lower body workouts during the shoulder recovery. My shoulder now appears to be fine, but taking it easy on the shoulder press machine.
You asked, "How do you feel during weight circuit workout and how do you feel next day?" I would do the weight circuit sessions immediately after work, and must admit it can be a struggle to arrive at the gym after working 12-hours. Once I get started into my fast routine I feel much better, I'm not relaxed, and muscles do tingle a bit. My heart rate is elevated during the second circuit to about 75-80% of my maximum heart rate. After the session I'm a soaking, sweaty mess and take a quick shower. I then leave for home and then collapse in bed. I sometimes feel sore the next day, but realize it's just DOMS, (unless it's a lasting pain like my right shoulder).
You also asked, "Did your strength training ever interfere with your running routine? What benefits have you noticed from such a training so far?" I don't allow my strength training to interfere with my running routine as running is my passion, lifting weights for me is just a necessary chore like brushing teeth. Also I don't do circuit training and running at the same time, it's separated by about eight hours. Some days after a circuit training I may be exhausted or a little sore, but I just shoulder onwards. Thankfully no lower body injuries due to weight lifting that would affect my running. I did have a non-exercise related knee injury when a passenger hit my knee with a heavy luggage bag...I believe my weight training helped me not have such a severe injury and could bounce back after a couple of months. I also believe I'm less inclined for running injuries as my muscles are more balanced due to weight training. Therefore the benefits are not noticeable, except I don't get running injuries even though I run seven days a week.
WAKE UP EVERYBODY!! My boring exercise report is now over.
Happy trails, Bruce


Today is something different, I'll be doing a speed workout called, "Lactate Threshold," which is a tempo run at about my half-marathon pace.

8:30 a.m. Lactate Threshold Workout. 9 miles. 24 Hour Fitness at Rainbow and Alta. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 2 mile warmup at 6.1 mph (9:50 minute miles.) 4 miles at 7.6 mph (7:54 minute miles.) 3 mile cooldown at 6.1 mph (9:50 minute miles.) Average heart rate, 155 bpm. Cardiac drift, 177 bpm. Shoes: New Balance 720.

Tough run!! This is my first Lactate Threshold workout since last Spring. I did have a little ache on my right ankle, but nothing serious, and will ice it tonight as a precaution.

No comments: