Sunday, August 16, 2009

SUMMARY, AUGUST 10-16, 2009

Daily Quote: "To function safely in the heat, your body needs the sodium, potassium and other nutrients in these and other salty foods. In the hours before a workout or race, I constantly sip water and Cytomax. The last hour or two before a hot run, I drink at least 16 ounces of sports drink." --Ron McCracken, article, Running Hot: "How To Stay Hydrated On Long Summer Runs," Running Times Magazine, July/August 2009, pg 25.

Sad to say, I don't hydrate much before my long runs as I just don't have the time to prepare hours before. Normally, I would awake at 7:00 a.m., eat a quick breakfast of Cheerios and bananas with low-fat milk, a small glass of grape juice, than rush to the gym and start running by 8:00 a.m. I guess the low-fat milk and juice does offer a little hydration, but nothing like Ron's above quote. Currently I've been drinking a small swallows of Cytomax every two miles (about 16 ounces per hour) with good results.

Today is a Recovery Run as I ran 12 miles yesterday; decided a quick and easy five miler should do the trick.

SUMMARY, AUGUST 10-16, 2009

Finished my first week of marathon training with a total of 58 miles. Felt strong and ready for all runs with no aches nor pain! I've continued my running streak and haven't had a day without running since February 14th. Only 16 weeks until the "2009 RNR Las Vegas Marathon!!"

I hadn't lost any weight last week, but didn't gain weight either...I'm still 172 pounds on a six foot frame. My racing weight is 170 pounds and only need to lose two more pounds before the marathon!

I accomplished three weight circuit sessions last week! It was tough motivating myself to hit the gym early Saturday morning after work, but once I started lifting weights my body and mood responded very well, it was like all the work stress that accumulated during the week melted off me.

My sleeping patterns have been very good, which is a little surprising as I trained hard due to my first marathon training week! Whatever I'm doing right I hope to continue it. My morning heart rates have been approximately 38-41 bpm.

Next week I'll be adding a couple more miles as well as slightly increasing my speed during the longer runs.

A short recap of last week's training:
Monday, General Aerobic Run + Speed, 8 miles.
Tuesday, Recovery Run, 6 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Wednesday, Long Run, Progressive, 17 miles.
Thursday, Recovery Run, 5 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Friday, Recovery Run, 5 miles.
Saturday, Medium Long Run, 12 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Sunday, Recovery Run, 5 miles.
Total Weekly Mileage: 58 miles.

No comments: