Daily Quote: "Eat enough oranges and you may experience less muscle soreness after hard workouts such as downhill running. Why? Oranges supply over 100 percent of the DV for the antioxidant vitamin C, and a recent study from the University of North Carolina Greensboro showed that taking vitamin C supplements for two weeks prior to challenging arm exercises helped alleviate muscle soreness. This fruit's antioxidant powers also come from the compound herperidin found in the thin orange-colored layer of the fruit's skin (the zest). Herperidin has been shown to help lower cholesterol levels and high blood pressure as well." --Liz Applegate, Ph.D.
I haven't been eating oranges lately, and the above quote reminds me to place "oranges" on my next grocery list!
Today's workout is very similar to yesterday's four-miler, with almost the same result.
9:00 a.m. Easy Run. 4 miles. Time 39:35. Overall pace, 9:56 minutes per mile. Out and back on Westwind Avenue that has loose gravel along the side. Cloudy, 54 degrees, winds south at 10 mph. Average heart rate, 140 bpm. Cardiac Drift, 146 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm.)
The bottom of my left foot doesn't hurt as much today as I wore thicker Thorlo socks that helped prevent bruising, but I did feel a little discomfort under my foot, probably feet not fully recovered from yesterday. Tomorrow I'm planning on a eight miler, which will be on stable asphalt!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Bruce I know you found that article just for me being I live in Greensboro, North Carolina. Smart folks! OH Happy Early Birthday again!
What is "oranges" in quotes?
Oranges and Bananas... I love them both Especially Blood Oranges. Good Eatin!
Oranges--Good to know! Back to weight-lifting and my sore arms and scream, "Why did you stop months ago?"
I will buy organes as well! Thanks for the tip!
Post a Comment