Daily Quote: "Runners focus so much on consuming their carbs that their protein needs sometimes get forgotten. Protein is used for some energy and to repair tissue damaged during training. Protein should make up about 15% of your daily intake. Runners, especially those training for long distances such as marathons, should consume .5 to .75 grams of protein per pound of body weight. Good sources of protein are fish, lean meat, poultry, beans, nuts, whole grains, egg whites, low-fat milk, low-fat cheese and some vegetables." --Christine Luff, About.com Running & Jogging Guide.
I agree with Christine with the importance of protein, but I'm beginning to question the idea that quality protein is not animal protein after reading the research in "The China Study" by T. Colin Campbell and Thomas M. Campbell II. I'm slowly weening myself off from animal protein diet and replacing it with plant based diet.
Went to bed earlier than normal last night due to no bowling league because of Super Bowl Sunday, hence awoke and ran earlier than normal.
7:00 a.m. General Aerobic Run. 6 miles. Time, 57:33. Overall pace, 9:35 minute miles. Out and back on Lindell Road. Weather; clear, 40 degrees with no wind. Average heart rate: 143 bpm. Cardiac drift: 148 bpm. (Note, my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm)
I discovered that the side route of Lindell Road has more traffic than normal at 7-8 a.m. due to the several schools on that route, don't kids ever walk to school anymore? No aches nor pain and body is adjusting well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Go veggie, you can do it! There are tons of sources of protein available to vegetarians; way more than you would expect. I've been vegetarian about 2 years. Most grocery stores have not only tofu but meat replacement stuff like meatless sandwich slices, tofu crumbles (like ground beef), smart dogs, cheese replacements, silk, and chick'n. you'd be surprised how easy it is to go totally vegetarian!
Hey Bruce,
I read this article a while ago. some info. on plant Vs. animal based protein. Treat it as additional info.
http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?PAGE=ARTICLE&ARTICLE.ID=2897
Hammer nutrition sells both types of protein and gives additional info. if you look at the product itself. Enjoy,
Marianne
Post a Comment