Thursday, February 5, 2009

Bars, Drinks, Gels, OH MY!

Daily Quote: "Remember that the calories in the energy bars, sports drinks, and gels you consume during a run add up, even though you're running. Consume them only as needed." --Nancy Clark, Nutritionist

I only drink sports drinks when running over an hour in hot conditions...lately I have not taken any energy bars nor gels on my runs as I just don't need them. During my previous marathons I preferred Jelly Belly Sport Beans, but must look for something more substantial for my upcoming ultra-marathon, "The Labor of Love 50k," on April 25th.

9:00 a.m. Easy Run. 4 miles. Time 39:39. Overall pace, 9:56 minutes per mile. Out and back on Westwind Avenue that has loose gravel along the side. Cloudy, 55 degrees, winds south at 3 mph. Average heart rate, 141 bpm. Cardiac Drift, 146 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm.)

The loose gravel is good training for my upcoming ultra-marathon and ran very slowly as not to twist my ankle and allow my feet to adjust, unfortunately, the bottom of my left foot is bruised. Indeed, I need more practice on loose gravel.

The weather is perfect today, high in the mid 70's! We're about to have a change of weather as rain is in the forecast for Friday and Saturday.

2 comments:

lifestudent said...

I assumed you were talking about alcohol from your title ... :(

Anyway, I'm a fan of the shot block!

runrgrl2007 said...

Boy what a title... I thought you were mixing all that and surely you were sick on your stomach! You need some cushioning in those shoes for gravel! Happy Birthday one day early!