Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Lose Weight Slowly

Daily Quote: "Shoot for a gradual loss of body fat. You're more likely to put the weight back on (and more) if you drop weight too quickly." --Nancy Clark, Nutritionist

I enjoy shows like "The Biggest Loser" and "Celebrity Fit Club," but do realize that losing weight too quickly promotes a yo-yo effect on the body...the body thinks it's in famine and therefore slows metabolism and stores fat. Personally, I'll shoot for 1-2 pounds of weight loss per week, nevertheless, I'm often impatient when it comes to my own weight loss goals. I was tempted to join about.com's forum weight loss challenge, but decided against it, afterall, I'm not that overweight (179 pounds on a six foot frame) and would rather lose my last 10 pounds slowly.

Visited the gym after I awoke this morning rather than immediately after work as I was exhausted from a busy day driving a cab during the "World of Concrete" convention.

9:10 a.m. 24 Hour Fitness (Alta & Rainbow). Warmup, 10 minutes on the upright stationary cycle. Weight Circuit Training, 2 sets, 15 reps, for 25 minutes. Cooldown, 10 minutes on upright stationary cycle. Thankfully, I only live five minutes from home and can squeeze in my scheduled run as well.

10:30 a.m. General Aerobic Run. 7 miles. Time, 1:06. Overall pace, 9:28 minute miles. Out and back on Lindell Road. Weather, partly cloudy, 58 degrees with no wind. Average heart rate, 143 bpm. Cardiac drift, 147 bpm. (note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm)

Nice comfortable run with beautiful weather! It's unusual that I run so late and now must rush to get ready for work...will eat a cheese pizza Lean Pocket on the way to the company yard.

3 comments:

lifestudent said...

Id rather hang onto my extra lbs so I have more to gripe about.

Sherri said...

You are not overweight, that's for sure and I can't imagine you needed to lose 10 more pounds at your height and weight. But I agree, slowly is better. I do like Biggest Loser. Love to see these folks turning their life and health around for the better.

Tanya said...

Wow-"World of Concrete"? Is there anything they DON'T have conventions for in Las Vegas? I agree that slow weight loss is a good thing. It took me almost 2 years to lose almost 50 pounds, but I never gained it back. I'm convinced it's because I actually did some lifestyle changes to lose the weight.