Daily Quote: "It takes a long time to run around the world, so you see things on a small, personal scale. You see that the differences and distances between us are not as great as they appear on maps and in the media." --JESPER OLSEN, ON COMPLETING A 22-MONTH RUN AROUND THE GLOBE.
RECOVERY WEEK, WEEK 1: APRIL 21-27, 2008
I have finished my dream goal of running the Boston Marathon last week and now I'll spend the next three weeks recovering from the marathon before I start building my mileage base again. My marathon recovery should be easier than in the past as I didn't run to my full potential and treated the Boston Marathon as a "victory lap" that felt more like a long training run. My recovery runs last week were a little stiff, but didn't feel any pain nor soreness as I would normally feel after a marathon; nevertheless, I'll continue my recovery very slowly. I'm really enjoying my recovery runs as my mind is relaxed and fancy free! The following is a short recap of my recovery runs:
Monday: Boston Marathon! 26.2 miles.
Tuesday: Rest Day. Sightseeing!
Wednesday: Rest Day. Last day in Boston.
Thursday: Recovery Run, 4 miles.
Friday: Rest Day.
Saturday. Recovery Run, 5 miles.
Sunday. Rest Day.
Total Weekly Mileage: 35.2 miles.
My weight has climbed to 177 pounds on a six foot frame, undoubtedly due to all the feasting during my vacation in Boston. How could I deny myself my very first "New England Chowder," or the Atlantic fish called Haddock? I also treated myself to a huge slice of New York cheese cake at the Palm Restaurant. Every day in Boston I tried something new and different, all the different foods probably helped cause my stomach distress during the Boston Marathon, if I ever run Boston again I'll restrain myself from all the rich foods.
I didn't do any weight training last week, but this coming week I'll return slowly to lifting weights again and plan on doing two weight sessions.
I don't know if you could call bowling cross-training, but I've been bowling almost every day since we've returned from Boston. My wife suggests that my next long range goal would be to have a 200+ average in bowling and strive to enter The Senior Pro Bowling Tour as she believes I have good potential. Currently bowling is recreation for me and I strive to stay carefree during our games and to keep it fun...I can be a total competitive monster in bowling if I wanted, which would take a measure of fun out of bowling for me.
I still haven't planned any long term goals in running yet...I could aim to improve my 5k and 10k personal records or try something totally different like an ultra race. I'll probably decide what I want to do once I enter my base building phase of my training, after all, I've just finished the Boston Marathon a week ago!
I've been lax on logging onto the computer as I've been so busy getting myself back to work and chores around the home. I need a vacation from my vacation!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Hey Bruce!
Glad to see your recovery is coming along nicely; no pain or soreness. Now, just take it easy, bowl, enjoy your time. Because before you know it you'll be racking up the mileage when you start the base building phase again.
One thing, how did you like the FIRST training you did for Boston compared your previous marathons where you logged high mileage? I realize the Boston and Las Vegas are two completely different marathons, but just curious which program you liked best and why?
Joanne
Bruce,
Good job at Boston. It sounds like you had a great time. I'm sorry I couldn't make it up this year to cheer you on. I had a web friend in the race on Sunday as well, and none of us made it for her.
Wayne
Howdy Joanne!
Good advice on just taking it easy, bowl, and enjoy my time...indeed, the base building will come soon enough! Normally after a marathon I'm itching to return to running, but this time I really could use the rest.
just curious which program you liked best and why?
To answer your question: "just curious which program you liked best and why?" Well, I much prefer high mileage training over the three quality runs from the FIRST Training Program as I don't get the "high" from cross-training; running is my passion and everything else is just ho-hum. I don't get any kicks from stationary cycling, rowing machines, nor swimming.
Howdy Wayne! I had a great time with my Boston vacation, but doubt I'll be in your area of the country again as we're pretty broke now. Maybe someday you'll come to the West Coast and we can toast with some Gatorade?
I can be entirely too competitive as well so I understand your need to keep bowling "fun". Sounds like you are having a good recovery so far. 177 on 6 foot is pretty dang slim, if you ask me!
Howdy Sherri! I'm a thin boned ectomorph, therefore from what I've read my ideal racing weight should be around the range of 160-165 pounds. I would be very happy losing the extra 12 pounds, but I'm not stressing the extra weight as I've still accomplished my main goal of being healthy and fit
Post a Comment