Daily Quote: "Protein tends to be more satiating than carbohydrates. That is, protein (and fat) lingers longer in the stomach than do carbohydrates. Hence, having 200 calories in high-protein eggs for breakfast will satiate you longer than 200 calories in a high-car bagel with jam. By curbing hunger you have fewer urges to eat and can more easily restrict calories--that is, until you start to crave carbs and over-eat them. --from the excellent book, "Nancy Clark's Food Guide for Marathoners."
The above quote reminds me of Allen's recent e-mail regarding his making hard-boiled eggs for breakfast and also had sent the below:
Dear Dr. Mirkin [drmirkin.com]: My cholesterol is too high; should I
avoid eggs?
For more than 50 years eggs have been called
unhealthful because they are among the foods that contain the
highest levels of cholesterol. However, in recent years eggs have
been rehabilitated. This month, a team of researchers at Mahidol
University in Bangkok showed that adding an egg a day to the
diets of healthy people in Thailand raised the good HDL
cholesterol that prevents heart attacks. It did not affect the
bad LDL cholesterol or triglycerides (Journal of the Medical
Association of Thailand, March 2008).
Adding as many as three eggs per day to your diet will not
raise cholesterol. More than 80 percent of the cholesterol in your
body is manufactured by your liver, and less than 20 percent
comes from the food you eat. When you eat more cholesterol,
your liver makes less. When you eat less cholesterol, your liver
makes more. However, if you add eggs you must subtract
another equal source of calories, because increasing caloric
intake will raise cholesterol. So this is not an invitation to
eat an unlimited amount of eggs. The study supports other research
showing that eggs in moderation are not harmful, and that up to
one egg a day may have specific health benefits.
9:00 a.m. The weather was just too nice to do my usual cross-training workouts in the gym, hence I played hooky and did a six mile recovery run down Torrey Pines Road (partially covers the same route as the "Zappos Las Vegas Marathon") with heart rates within my range of 146-150 bpm. Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm. Partly cloudy skies, 63 degrees, with no winds! The aftermath of my outside jaunt wasn't very good as this is the season for my Mulberry tree allergy and was sniffling with sore red eyes...I guess I can't have everything.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hey Bruce,
Glad to see you were flexible and got outside for a nice recovery run. Sorry to hear your allergies didn't quite agree with the run. Thank goodness I don't have allergies, but my husband and 7 year old daughter do, and man, sometimes they are just miserable!
2 weeks, 2 days till Boston. (I run my next race the day before Boston). I am praying for great weather for you!! My cousin ran it last year in the nor easter and it wasn't pretty. He wanted to do it in 4:10, but did it in 4:29. He ended up going out too fast in the beginning. Just remember, take the first 16 miles a 'little' slower than your race pace, so you have enough for the hills (17-22, I think). And though I haven't run it, I was told they aren't that bad, just long and rolling. But if you have taken the first 16 a 'little' slower, you should be fine. The problem is, people go out too fast (since the first 16 are downhill), and then pay for it (quads) during the hills, making everyone say, the hills are really bad.
I really enjoyed my treadmill run yesterday. I can't believe I just typed that. But my quads didn't hurt. Now I don't have anymore excuses for not running in bad weather:)
Oh, I've been meaning to ask. I went on amazon.com to check out Nancy Clarks book and several popped up. Could you tell me what the ISBN# is for the book you have and like? Thanks
I know you'll do great at Boston. I'm hoping for warm/humidity for you!!
Joanne
I run with a co-worker sometimes. If it is the least bit windy or if they are mowing the grass he won't run outside. It just kills his allergies.
I think you should be cautious tha tyou allergies don't flair up before Boston.
-Jo3
Howdy Joanne! The book, "Nancy Clark's Food Guide for Marathoners" is ISBN# is 978-1-84126-206-2
I'll strive to run a little slower before those hills, but it'll be rough to be conservative when you're running downhill AND the enthusiastic crowds, I'll just do my best.
Howdy Joe! I've been running inside on the treadmill mostly for my timed tempo runs and intervals, but felt the need to do a recovery run outside for a change, I'll definitely be careful before I leave on April 16th. I've been also taking Benadryl, it makes me very drowsy, not good when you're driving a cab for 12-hours, hence I only take the tablets when I'm not working.
Post a Comment