Friday, April 11, 2008

Boring Cross-training

Daily Quote: "Winning in Boston is something you really appreciate only in time, not at the time you win." --Robert Cheruiyot, three-time winner and defending champ

10:30 a.m. Life Fitness Cycle: Total time 45 minutes. WORKOUT: 5 minutes easy as a warm-up; increased cadence to 100+ rpm and maintain that cadence for 30 minutes (because of the faster cadence, the effort level will be 3 on the perceived effort scale) Note: Effort Level 3 is Moderate to Hard with a noticeable increase in breathing. Followed by 10 minutes of easy running after as a cool-down.

I was bored to tears during my workout today, I can hardly wait for this training period to end so I can return to running daily!! I would still cross-train, but as a double workout, maybe after work when I lift weights.

My right toe that was crunched by a rushed tourist's luggage looks pretty ugly, but isn't sore at all...I hope that the nail doesn't fall off. Last night was a good night at work, no mishaps and I survived.

2 comments:

The Running Bob said...

I noticed you have a very accurate measurement of bpm. What type of monitor are you using? I never ran with one and wondered about your perceived benefits of before and after the monitor. In short, is it worth the investment?

robison52 said...

Howdy Bob! Yup, I actually own TWO heart rate monitors.

My original HRM is the Polar Heart Rate Monitor that I purchased six years ago and is still working well and very accurate...I use this HRM for my workouts on the gym's treadmills and for morning heart rate readings.

I also have the Garmin Forerunner 305 that also has a HRM, I use this tool for my runs outside and for races.

I find the heart rate monitors worth the investment if only to keep my recovery runs EASY, and my hard runs HARD! Before owning such toys most of my runs were done at relatively the same speed and effort, AND I wasn't recovering enough on my easy days to improve my effort on the harder days.