Daily Quote: "The Wellesley women made a tunnel for me to run through. The more I acknowleged them, the louder they cheered." --Lisa (Nee Weidenbach)Rainsberger, Last American winner, 1985.
Today schedule calls for a Long Run of 10 miles at 8:23 minute per mile pace, which is incidentally my upcoming planned Boston Marathon pace! I've decided to run this workout on my gym's treadmill due to my Mulberry Tree allergy and I'll be able to keep pace better than chasing "Garfield" (nickname for Garmin's virtual training partner) through the pollen haze.
9:30 a.m. Life Fitness Treadmill. Ten Miles. First nine miles at 7.2 mph (8:20 minute per mile pace, which is as close as I can get on the treadmill for a 8:23 pace) set at zero grade, last mile was also 7.2 mph, but with a 4% grade as to prepare for Heartbreak Hill. Average heart rate: 168 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 175 bpm. My heart rate is a little high for a Long Run, undoubtedly the numbers are a little skewered due to the last mile hill. I'm a little intimidated that this will be my upcoming marathon pace...how can I maintain this pace for 26.2 miles???
TWO WEEKS UNTIL BOSTON MARATHON REPORT: MARCH 31 - APRIL 6, 2008
Finished 14th week of marathon training and ran only 30 miles as I'm still following the guidelines of "FIRST Training Program" as explained in "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster" book, which included two vigorous cross-training days. Last week was my start of a three week taper. Most of my workouts during the first half of the week was lackluster and had me concerned about my condition for a 3:40 marathon goal, but my workouts improved during the last half and my confidence has returned.
I'm now 172 pounds on a six foot frame. I still need to remember that I'm tapering on mileage and need to be diligent on my diet. I've started a food journal and have been keeping it in my work backpack as I eat most of my meals during the 12 hours of driving a cab; I notice that I tend to eat more when I'm at the "Airport Pit" (taxi holding area) due to the close vicinity of the Roach Coach (lunch wagon).
I only did one session of weight circuit training as I'm reducing my work load for my taper...the following week I'll discontinue weight training until after the marathon as I won't have access to my gym when I'm in Boston. During my marathon recovery I'll return to weight lifting three times weekly.
I've been sleeping very well last week, averaging 7-8 hours of sound sleep, and my morning heart rates have been normal, approximately 39-42 bpm....tapering has been very good for my sleeping patterns.
A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Long Run, 13 miles.
Tuesday: Crosstraining, weight circuit training and stationary cycle.
Wednesday: Intervals, 5 miles.
Thursday: Recovery Run, 6 miles.
Friday: Rest Day. Wedding Anniversary.
Saturday: Tempo Run, 6 miles.
Sunday: Crosstraining, swimming.
Total weekly mileage: 30 miles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment