Daily Quote: "Carbohydrates should not be a source of confusion. To the contrary: wholesome carbs --fruits, vegetables, grains--clearly should be the foundation of your sports diet. And, if desired, refined carbs--soda pop, sugar, sports drinks--can be consumed in moderation." From the excellent book, "Nancy Clark's Food Guide for Marathoners."
Yesterday was a forced rest day as my wife and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary...where did the years go??? We ate at our favorite restaurant, The San Lorenzo Italian Restaurant, where as usual, I ate too much food and drink!
Today I'm back on schedule with a Tempo Run as stated in "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster," pg 236:
6 mile run:
1 mile easy,
5 miles @ 7:35/mile
Average heart rate: 162 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 179 bpm. Faster tempo workout, same mileage, than on March 10th, but my heart rate today was a little lower, showing that I'm adapting and am stronger. I felt very invigorated after the run, bright eyed and bushy tailed! I felt wide awake even though I've been taking Benadryl for my Mulberry tree allergy. Nice to have an upbeat run result for a change, my previous workouts were lackluster at best.
The book's training program doesn't have a scheduled cool-down, therefore I added a 15 minute cool-down on the upright stationary cycle. Looking forward to strong cross-training tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I saw Nancy Clark speak a few weeks ago. She definitely promotes the chocolate and real food vs the gu and sports bars. Very interesting stuff!
Congrats on 10 yrs! No small feat by any means.
And I know you are going to be great at Boston! I will be thinking of you and sending you hang tough and get'er done vibes.
Bruce,
I haven't communicated much with you. I am headed to London with the 1908 Olympic Marathon Gold Medal tomorrow. I an questionable for an appearance at Boston this year, in part due to London, and in part due to Passover and family commitments. Let me wish you well in Beantown, and hopefully I can get up there and meet you.
Wayne
Howdy Nat! I'm surprised how liberal Nancy Clark is about certain questionable foods, but I find her as "right on" overall. Thanks for sending me the get'er done vibes as I'll need all the help I can get!
Howdy Wayne! I can understand how busy you are and congrats on your trip to London, I'm envious as I've always wanted to visit England! Interestingly, I was just watching the news about the Olympic Torch having problems over there in regards to the protests over China...snuffing out the Olympic Torch is a no-no! Would be great to meet you in person, although with your writings on your blog and about.com I feel I already know you well.
Congrats on your Anniversary!
Boston is two weeks away and I know you are getting excited! Looks like your training is going well.
Keep up the good work,
Charlie
Howdy Charlie! I am indeed excited and often wonder how I'll fare with my FIRST Training Program. I know you're a proponent of the program and your blog was inspirational for me yesterday...your personal record was well deserved even though your training wasn't going well and you were not feeling well.
Post a Comment