Sunday, April 6, 2008

Cross-training Swim

Today's Quote: "For a kid out of the Polish ghetto in Grand Rapids, winning the Boston Marathon meant, 'I did okay. I didn't suck." I hope [being the last American male to win] is not on my tombstone. I hope someone like a Ryan Hall or Dathan Ritzenhein makes the effort to win." --Greg Meyer, last American male champion, 1983.

Today I wanted to do something different for cross training rather than the usual upright stationary cycle, hence I chose to swim using the Cross-Training Workout #1, Mode 5 as written in the book, "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster," pg 107.

9:30 a.m. Total swimming time 35 minutes. 10 minutes in the pool doing warm up laps. Workout: 1 length fast, 1 length easy; 2 lengths fast, 2 lengths easy; 3 lengths fast, 3 lengths easy; 2 lengths fast, 2 lengths easy; 1 length fast, 1 length easy. Rest 1 minute. Repeat entire sequence two more times.

My swimming is rather choppy, but better than my last swim. My fast is still relatively slow, but my heart rate was in the 170's. After the Boston Marathon would like to swim more and improve my technique...maybe take a class or hire a trainer from the gym.

Tonight our bowling team, "One Wonders," got clobbered by the team "Union Strikers" and lost all four games in the Bishop Gorman Bowling League. Geez, last week we won all four games against the top ranked "The Ringers" and today we lose badly against a team much weaker than we are, we're so inconsistent! Even though we're just playing for fun and exercise it's still hard for me to accept such a defeat as I'm just too competitive. I need to take a "chill pill;" relax and have fun, not everything should be a stressful challenge.

2 comments:

LIrunner9 said...

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for the ISBN#, I'm leary of ordering from amazon, when two books show up for the same name. The ISBN# was very helpful. Thanks!!

I know you are excited for your training to be over, that is the FIRST training, so you can get back to daily running/mileage. I wonder though, will you miss the diversity of the FIRST program, as you seem to have missed the daily running from previous training programs, this time around. Just curious??

I am working my way up to running everyday, but I think since life gets in the way, for me, 5 days will have to do for now. But, it is 5 more than I was running 3 months ago!!!

I really do like running, just don't see myself as much of a cross trainer. It's so easy to put the shoes on and go, as opposed to 'hitting the gym'.

Belated Happy anniversary!!

Joanne

robison52 said...

Howdy Joanne! I do miss my daily runs as I don't get the deep satisfaction or "high" from cross-training that I get from running. I view cross-training like I do stretching, I don't particularly enjoy it, but know that it's good for my running. Cross-training will continue to have a place in my future training routines as it does help me from overtraining and gives my body more balance, but running will be more predominate.