This is my race report of running the 112th Boston Marathon held on Monday, April 21st, 2008.
I had arrived in Boston early Thursday morning and had four days to taper, rest, recover for my race on Monday, which I've been dreaming about since I've started running. Sunday I had started having stomach issues, which had me racing to the bathroom with a case of diarrhea. I hoped my stomach problems would abate before I reached the starting line.
The race had perfect running weather with a little rain just before the race, but miraculously ten minutes before the second wave start the sun broke through overcast skies and the temperature was a constant 55 degrees from start to finish with just a slight breeze to help cooling. What runner could ask anything more from the weather!!
I had to stop at a porta-potty at the three mile mark as to relieve myself and waited in line for five minutes before I did my deed. Nevertheless, felt I could make up the time and still set a personal record. I continued on with enthusiasm! Unfortunately, had to stop at the seven mile marker for another potty break, this time the line was longer and didn't get back on course for a whole 11 minutes, it was now obvious I wasn't going to set any records for this race as I haven't even hit the harder portions of the course! Resigned myself to the fact that this race will now become a slower "victory lap run" as to fully enjoy the Boston Marathon experience. My change of strategy was a good decision as I had to stop three additional times for potty breaks before I finished the course.
I enjoyed running through the picturesque New England villages, past ponds and woods; past Wellesley and Boston colleges and in the city of Boston. Running is easy in the first half on the gently undulating slopes. Newton Hills are a challenge as we ascend a long terraced hill that peaks at Boston College. From there it is a long downhill followed by four miles of easy rollers to a downhill and flat straightaway to the well-organized finish area.
The spectators at every portion of the course were simply fantastic!! I slapped many children's outreached hands throughout the rest of the race, enjoyed the many offerings from the spectators like, water, endurance drinks, orange slices, bananas, a freeze pop, a small piece of wedding cake from a groom in a tuxedo, and tissues. Yup, tissues! Many spectators on the course were handing us tissues, which seemed very unusual to me, but I accepted graciously and wiped the sweat off my brow that did make me feel better. Some neighborhoods had water sprinklers set so you could run through them as to cool off, being a runner from the desert I thought this was rather strange as the temps was perfect. No runner was for want during any portion of the race...who needed water stops at the mile markers when you had such unbelievable support from the spectators?!?
I finished the 2008 Boston Marathon in 4:28:30 wtih a 10:15 minute per mile pace, although it was a very slow time, I had a fantastic and memorable experience. I wish I didn't have the stomach issues, but I have no regrets with my adventure as this was a tough course and doubt I would have set a personal record anyways. Highly unlikely I'll ever run the Boston Marathon again as the flight and lodging was very pricey, but who knows what the future might bring.
I like to thank everyone at the about.com running/jogging forum site for their support and keeping me accountable during my training. Many times I felt your prescience on the course!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
Wow, you are so AWESOME! I am so impressed! Way to go!!!
Hey Bruce!
I know it wasn't the time you wanted, but you should still be so proud!! Sorry to hear you had stomach issues, guess next time I'll have to worn you about the Boston food, though it's good, can be a bit greasy:)
Congrats again!! Now what's on your agenda?
Joanne
Howdy Erin! Thanks for the kudos! It was a fantastic experience and higly recommend the adventure of running the Boston Marathon.
Howdy Joanne! Yup, I tried so many different foods and treats that I wouldn't normally eat...like in Las Vegas you can't find Atlantic fish like Haddocks, which my wife had joyfully introduced me...also a foot long franks from a street vendor in front of Fenway Stadium...or the HUGE New York Cheesecake from the Palm Restaurant that was so very rich...I can go on and on, I'll need to start training again soon as to lose the pounds I gained from my vacation. Currently I'm researching ultra marathons, probably a good start for me would be a 50k or a 50 mile race.
Bruce,
I tracked you all morning on Monday and smiled wide everytime it was updated as I could just sense the adventure you were in the midst of having. Sounds like it truly was the experience of a lifetime I'm so glad you were able to be there!
Angie
Well, Bruce, I'm glad you had a great race and enjoyed the beautiful New England countryside. You waited a lifetime for this, and now you have a lifetime to reminisce.
Howdy Angie!
The race technology is advancing so fast! We now have streaming video of our races, immediate internet timing so friends and family can view our splits, makes me wonder what's next! Everytime I crossed a timing mat I thought of all those who were viewing my splits and wondering why I was going so very slow :)
Yup, it was indeed an experience of a lifetime, although my time was slow, I'm satisfied with what I could do under suce dire stomach problems. I know someday you'll eventually get a BQ as well and race the Boston Marathon.
Howdy Allen! Yup, I have a lifetime to reminisce and whenever I read about future marathons everything would be crystal clear...the crowd support, beautiful country side, quaint towns, those hills and the welcomed finishing line. I'll never forget Boston!!
I tracked you all morning along with several others I knew were running. You were running neck and neck with my Team in Training coach for the last 1/2. If you saw an older gentlemen probably wearing a Team in Training shirt with coach on it, that was Harland.
Bruce you did good and what an awesome time for all the pit stops. I'm happy for you that you got to run Boston.
Hey,
I'm a bit late on this (sorry!)... Sounds like really fun race. Just being able to enjoy the scenery and the running without thinking of time is probably the best part of running.
Take care,
Daphna
Howdy Daphna! Better late than never!! I didn't realize you have a new blog address, will haunt your site soon.
Post a Comment