Daily Quote: "As a marathoner, you may be unable to get adequate carbs from fruits and veggies to fuel your muscles, so be sure to include some pasta, potatoes, rice or other starches in your dinner menu. By "carbo-loading" every day, your muscles will have the fuel they need to train at their best, and this will help you compete at your best." --from the excellent book, "Nancy Clark's Food Guide for Marathoners"
This will be my last post until Friday, April 25th when I return from my Boston Marathon adventure and I'll update my blog at that time. I'll be leaving for Boston this afternoon!!
Yesterday I did a short 30 minute cross-training on the gym's upright stationary cycle and hope this week the hotel's gym will have a stationary cycle too.
Today is my very last quality workout before the Boston Marathon, which is the scheduled interval workout from the book, "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster," pg 236.
20 minute warmup
6 x 400m @ 1:39 (400m recovery interval)
10 minute cooldown.
Workout went very well, no aches nor pain, and felt very strong. My average heart rate was 174 bpm, and cardiac drift was 184 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) I'll probably do a couple of short easy runs leading up to the Boston Marathon, but mostly just to loosen myself up and to reduce any anxieties.
The rest of the day I'll be packing for Boston, but will be wearing my racing shoes and racing singlet, shorts, underneath my traveling clothes just in case our bags get lost.
I'm very nervous about flying as I often get motion sickness, I'll have plenty of time to recover from the plane trip before my race on Monday, no worries! Although it makes me very drowsy I'll be taking the product "Bonine," which helped me during our trip to upstate New York last year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Have a great race Bruce!
I'll be checking up on you so do well!
Have fun,
Charlie
BRUCE
IM SOOOO SOOO SOO EXCITED FOR YOU:)
HAVE A GREAT FANTASTIC FABULOUS MARATHON, AND IM GONNA FIND A WAY TO RACE STALK YOU:P
HAVE FUN! ENJOY THE VICTORY
YOU DESERVE IT!!!!!!
Good luck! Looking forward to hearing about Boston!
Hi Bruce
I have been following your preparations, and hope to be able to track your progress in the race. Very glad to hear that toe and ankle are behaving, everything seems to be coming together nicely. I have read several comments suggesting that you take the time to enjoy and absorb the experience. I have a feeling though that when the gun goes off your competitive instincts are going to take over, and you will run your a** off! I also think that your memories of the race will be much happier if you know that you put everything you had into it.
Good Luck!! We will be cheering you on all the way to the finish line!!!
David & Marci
Good luck and run hard and fast. I will be thinking of you on Monday and then later, stalking your results. :)
Nice! 7:37 pace. 2:45:16 at 35k! Projected finish at 3:19:33!
I checked back later, it seems as though the chip tracking was confused. Still a very good time and I'm jealous that you get to run Boston! Way to go!
Im trying to stalk you but i can't figure it out! It says your from calgary...
Hmm..
Im sure your doing fantastic though:)
Great job Bruce!!! 4:28:30. It was exciting tracking you. How are you feeling? Can't wait to read the final report!
Joanne
I've been lurking around and watching your progress since I did the half-marathon at Las Vegas in December. Found your blog on a Google search when I was looking for other stuff and have been tracking you since. Great job today! Not the PR you trained so hard for, but there's a lot of us who just wish we had the chance to run there. Can't wait to hear all the details.
Cheri
Post a Comment