Friday, December 29, 2006

TGIF

Daily Quote: "It is from doing the thing well, doing the thing handsomely, doing the thing intelligently that one derives the pleasure which is the essence of sport." --William James

I'm back on the roads again, today's mere 20 mph winds are like summer breezes compared to the 45 mph BLASTS of yesterday's weather!

6 miles. Time, 58 minutes. Recovery Run. Lindell Route. Sunny 43 degrees, Winds N @ 20mph. No Polar Heart Rate Monitor nor Garmin 301 as not to compete against myself as I'm recovering from yesterday's interval workout. Body feels very responsive, which is normal the day after a speed workout.

My Lindell Route runs North & South, which parallels the New Las Vegas Marathon's route of Torrey Pines Road. Why not just run Torrey Pines Road? Lindell Road is only two lanes that has a slower speed limit and less traffic than Torrey Pines with four lanes of traffic. If I manage to run late enough, I'll miss the Rush Hour traffic and sometimes I would run Torrey Pines Road, as the variety of scenery helps motivate me. Only so many out & back routes from my front door, sometime soon I would like to drive to different parts of the Las Vegas valley and find new routes as to make my runs less boring.

My friend, Glenn, a fellow cab driver AND MARATHONER had called me giving his congrats. He'll be attempting to break four hours in the Los Angeles Marathon and wonders how I achieved 3:45! No secrets, just hard work! This year's training I did longer weekly mileage, more 20 milers, more tempo runs at race pace (8:30 minute miles) and weighed eight pounds less than last year's marathon. I also had lots of encouragement and support from my friends at the about.com running/jogging forum that kept me accountable!! Would love to see Glenn at the 2008 Boston Marathon too! Needless to say, not many cab drivers are marathoners due to the long, stressful work hours. As far as I know, Glenn and I are the only marathoners in Las Vegas who drive cabs.

Tonight is going to be a very busy cab night as many visitors are arriving at McCarren Airport for a Las Vegas' New Year's Eve. I should take a small nap before I leave for work. TGIF, I'll be leaving Las Vegas on Saturday afternoon to spend New Year's Eve with friends in Arizona and won't return to Vegas until Monday afternoon.

No comments: