Daily Quote: "In addition to running less, what sets the FIRST program apart from other training programs is that it emphasizes a faster pace for the long runs than what other training programs typically recommend. In our studies, we've discovered that focusing on a designated, demanding pace for the long runs prepares runners physiologically and mentally for racing, particularly for the marathon." --from the excellent book "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster," by Pierce, Murr, and Moss, pg 101.
Today's workout is from the book, "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster," if you own the book I'm on the "Boston Marathon Qualifying Training Program For Men 45 To 49 (3:30)," Week 16, pg 229...yes, I know I'm 58 years old!
I've been preparing for today's Long Run since June, by adding more miles to my longer run per week and at the planned pace of 8:30 minute miles, therefore today's first marathon training Long Run workout wasn't a total shock to my body.
Long Run. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a negative <2% decline. 13 miles @ 8:30 minute miles (7.1 MPH). Overall Time: 1:50. Average heart rate: 158 bpm. Cardiac drift: 164 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 188 bpm).
My effort is definitely harder than my past Long Runs, my average heart rates back then were 145-150 bpm, but my paces were slower.
Drank 32 ounces of Gatorade during the Long Run, which wasn't enough fluids, but managed to push through the thirst. The gym was very warm and was sweating profusely. Next week will bring an extra bottle of 'ade.
Tough run! I had this very satisfying feeling afterwards knowing that I did well and could have gone a little farther with no problems. My left plantar fasciitis was a little sore at the beginning, but once I warmed up I felt no aches...and my right hip felt no pain!
Next week's Long Run will be 15 miles @ 8:45 minute miles...quite surprising that the longer runs increase by two miles every week until week 13...then it increases by three miles for a 20 mile run. My past marathon training had my mileage increases being much slower, which was one mile increase per week; my main question now is can my body hold up to this faster increase? Of course, since I'm only running three times per week, I'll have plenty of time to recover from my quality runs.
Just enough time for a peanut butter & jelly sandwich, then rush to work for my 12-hour shift as a Checker Cab driver. The huge mercantile convention called, MAGIC, is keeping me very busy. I'm taking a most welcomed day off from marathon training tomorrow, I really could use the rest day!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I think once I am healed from this injury I will bag the 1,000 miles for the year goal and start working on the FIRST training. I will be avidly reading how it goes for you :-)
Post a Comment