Monday, August 23, 2010

Second Week With FIRST Training Program

Daily Quote: "Running makes you an athlete in all areas of life...trained in the basics, prepared for whatever comes, ready to fill each hour and deal with the decisive moment." --Dr. George Sheehan

Yesterday was a Rest Day, which resulted in my taking Suzie to dinner and a movie.  I find that my running just three days a week with two days of cross training makes weight loss difficult.  It was so much easier to lose weight when I was running 6-7 days a week.  I need to be more disciplined with my diet choices and correct portions.

Today begins my second week with the FIRST Training Program.  Today's workout is from the book, "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster," if you own the book I'm on the "Boston Marathon Qualifying Training Program For Men 45 To 49 (3:30)," Week 15, pg 229.  I'm 58 years old, but wish to improve my personal record to 3:30 in the upcoming 2010 Las Vegas Marathon.  I'll be attempting to do the assigned intervals...how I dislike intervals as it's my weakest ability.

Precor Treadmill set with a negative 2% decline:
1 mile warmup at 10:00 minute mile.
4 x 800m at 3:13 (2 minute Jog Interval)
1 mile cooldown at 10:00 minute mile.

Average heart rate: 160 bpm.  Cardiac Drift: 181 bpm.  (Note my maximum heart rate is 188 bpm)  The end of the fourth repeat I felt like puking, but managed to keep myself together...I know intervals make me a faster runner, but how I HATE intervals!!

Today wore my racing shoes, ASICS DS Trainer, which did lower my heart rate somewhat from last week's interval session, or maybe I'm finally acclimating to the training?!?  My left plantar fasciitis made itself known with niggles at the beginning warmup, but the aches were gone before I started the intervals.  No pain whatsoever on my right hip!

Tomorrow looking forward to cross training and giving my body some recovery time from the pounding of running.

No comments: