Wednesday, August 25, 2010

15 Miler at 8:45 Minute Miles

Daily Quote: "FIRST's prescribed paces are usually reported by runners as being faster than their normal running speed.  Generally, this is because our Training with Purpose philosophy favors quality over quantity, intensity over frequency, fast running over the accumulation of miles.  If you want to run faster, you need to train faster.  In fitness terms, you need to employ the principle of specificity."  --from the excellent book "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster," by Pierce, Murr, and Moss, pg 7.

Today's workout is from the book, "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster," if you own the book I'm on the "Boston Marathon Qualifying Training Program For Men 45 To 49 (3:30)," Week 15, pg 229.  I'm 58 years old and have already qualified for Boston twice in the past and don't plan on running Boston again soon, currently I'm striving for a personal record of 3:30, hence I'm training with this Men 45 to 49 (3:30) schedule.

Long Run. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a negative <2% decline. 15 miles @ 8:45 minute miles (6.9 MPH). Overall Time: 2:11.. Average heart rate: 152 bpm. Cardiac drift: 160 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 188 bpm).


My effort was easier today than last week's Long Run of 13 miles as the planned pace was a little slower (last week was 8:30 minute miles).  Nevertheless, had the same left plantar fasciitis soreness, and a new ache, which was my lower right back.  Hopefully icing my back and taking ibuprofen will help the back recover...I doubt it's a back injury, just a tad sore.  My right back ache might be an extension of my previous right hip injury?!?  I'm still doing hip and ab exercises, and believe my core is stronger than last year at this time.  It's literally a pain getting older!

The dreadmill was pretty boring, although I did occasionally watch the television news and/or listen to my CD player (my favorite CD is "Coldplay, Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends").  I still have about a month before my training returns to the roads.  Today's high in Las Vegas will be 109 degrees!

I've been running my Long Runs on Wednesdays due to my competing in the Las Vegas Track Club Competition Series that has races once a month on Saturdays, therefore it's unwise to run a Long Run on Sunday after a race on Saturday.  I've been doing my Tempo Runs on Saturday, which duplicates my shorter race's efforts nicely.  So far, my Long Runs are doing fine on Wednesdays and can make it to work before 12:00 p.m., unfortunately, my future longer runs will have a tight time squeeze and will eventually have my Long Runs on Sundays again.

My next Las Vegas Competition Series race is on September 18th, the "LVTC Forest Challenge 11 mile race," which will be held at Mt Charleston's lower Bristlecone Trail.  I'll treat this race as a faster tempo run.

Next Wednesday my Long Run jumps to 17 miles at 8:45 minute miles.  Tomorrow will be a Rest Day!

No comments: