Daily Quote: "...set your treadmill to a negative incline, and do several tempo runs or marathon-pace runs at minus-two percent. This increases the pounding on your legs, which will prepare you for the duress of the race effort." Runner's World Magazine, September 2010, Article "Q+A," pg 44."
Tonight read the above quote and it was a revelation. I've been setting my treadmill at a plus-one percent as to simulate running on the roads, but it's ingenious that a negative grade would create more impact and would better simulate my race experience. Next week I'll experiment with a tempo run the minus-two percent, keeping in mind "baby steps, baby steps" as the pounding would make me more vulnerable to injury.
I haven't been posting on this blog last month as my computer was sick. Thankfully, my friend Brenda repaired my computer by replacing the power supply, adding more memory, and attaching new speakers. I didn't realize how much I had depended on my computer until it was gone. Had to visit the Clark County Library every other day as to utilize the internet to make my correspondence chess moves...otherwise I would lose my games by time forfeit (I have a time limit of three days to make a move).
Bought the book, "Chicken Soup for the Soul--Runners; 101 Inspirational Stories of Energy, Endurance and Endorphins" and will be reading one inspirational story every night before bedtime.
SUMMARY: JULY 26 - AUGUST 1, 2010
This is my third week utilizing the FIRST Training Program, which consists of three-quality-runs-per-week model and two crosstraining days as recommended in the book, "Runner's World, Run Less Run Faster," by Pierce, Murr, and Moss. I'm hoping that having only three days of quality running per week will prevent injuries AND make me faster.
Monday: Cross-Train (XT#1), Mode: Stationary cycling (45 minutes; upright stationary fitness bike) Workout: 8 minutes easy spinning, 30 minutes moderate, 7 minutes easy; cadence about 95-100 rpm. Heart rate was relatively moderate, average heart rate 144 bpm, cardiac drift 155 bpm. Could raise the effort level a little higher next week. Circuit weight training.
Tuesday: Key Run Workout #1, 20 minutes warmup, 3x1600m @ 7:02 (1 min RI), 10 minutes cooldown. Average heart rate 163 bpm, Cardiac Drift 183 bpm. (Note, my maximum heart rate is 188 bpm.) Tough workout, barely completed my third 1600m! I hope the key workout #1 gets a little easier and/or my body adapts quickly.
Wednesday: Cross-Train (XT#2) Mode: Stationary cycling (45 minutes; upright stationary fitness bike) Workout: 10 minutes easy spinning as a warmup, alternate resistance between a PE level of 4 for 1 minute with 4 minutes of fast spinning at a PE level of1. Repeat this six times. Finish with 5 minutes easy as a cooldown. Average heart rate 150 bpm. Cardiac Drift 170 bpm. This workout effort was easier than last week with the same perimeters...my body is adapting!
Thursday: Key Run Workout #2, 6 mile run: 2 miles easy, two miles @ 7:35/mile, 2 miles easy. Average heart rate 161 bpm. Cardiac drift, 179 bpm. I felt like I was cruising during the tempo! For some reason I'm stronger with today's tempo run than Tuesday's interval sessions. Intervals are definitely my weakest workout, hopefully it'll improve with time.
Friday: REST DAY
Saturday: Key Run Workout #3, Long Run, 10 miles @ 8:53/mile. Average heart rate 158 bpm, Cardiac drift 164 bpm. (Note, my maximum heart rate is 188 bpm) No sweat!! I need to get my long run up to 13 miles by August 16th when I start my marathon training for the 2010 Las Vegas Marathon. I prefer sandwiching my Long Run with two easy days...my body feels better without the extra stress.
Sunday: Circuit Weight Training.
Next week my training will be shuffled on different days as I may run a 5k race next Saturday, depending on how my body feels by the end of the week. My body will be under extra stress as I'll be very busy with two major conventions in town (I'm a Checker Cab driver). I plan having Wednesday as my Long Run next week, which will give me two days to recover before the race.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment