Daily Quote: "Short intervals help us develop a sense of rhythm for our race--both neuromuscular and cognitive. Our bodies rely on sensory feedback for running pace: the pressure of the ground, muscle tension and visually what we're seeing." --Tom Schwartz, Beaverton, Oregon coach and exercise scientist, whose advice at http://www.therunzone.com/ has helped scores of runners.
Today's workout is from the book, "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster," if you own the book I'm on the "Boston Marathon Qualifying Training Program For Men 45 To 49 (3:30)," Week 14, pg 229. I'm 58 years old and have already qualified for Boston twice in the past and don't plan on running Boston again soon, currently I'm striving for a personal record of 3:30, hence I'm training with this Men 45 to 49 (3:30) marathon training schedule.
Precor Treadmill set at a negative <2% decline.
2 mile warmup at 10:00 minute miles.
1200m @ 4:55, 1000m @ 4:03, 800m 3:13, 600m @ 2:24,
400m @ 1:35
(all with 200m RI)
1 mile cooldown at 10:00 minute miles.
The above workout equates to a 21:40 5k pace (which is my current 5k personal record set two years ago), or 6:58 minute miles. This is the fastest interval session I've ever attempted and those 200m Recovery Intervals were so very short, I had to give myself another 50m recovery before the last 400m @ 1:35 as to allow my heart to slow down a little. This is the first time I had to alter my current marathon training schedule as written. My average heart rate was 166 bpm, with my cardiac drift being a whopping 185 bpm! (Note: my maximum heart rate is 188 bpm.) Afterwards my body felt like it had just finished a grueling race. Thankfully, tomorrow is my cycling crosstraining and my body will have less pounding...my left plantar fasciitis is most grateful for tomorrow's non-impact exercise.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment