Daily Quote: "The tempo portion of the workout is typically 3 to 5 miles at 10k pace or slightly slower. For marathon training, the tempo portion is extended to 8 to 10 miles at planned marathon pace." --from the excellent book "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster," by Pierce, Murr, and Moss, pg 65.
Late start today on my tempo run as I had to have new brakes and rotors replaced on my 1996 Oldsmobile this morning, I hope the car doesn't have any more major expenses for awhile, the cost today was $335.40.
Today's workout is from the book, "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster," if you own the book I'm on the "Boston Marathon Qualifying Training Program For Men 45 To 49 (3:30)," Week 16, pg 229...how I wish I was still 45 to 49 years old!
6 Mile Run, Tempo. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a negative -2% decline.
2 miles easy at 6.0 mph (10.00 minute miles).
2 miles at 8:3 mph (7.14 miles).
2 miles at 6.0 mph (10 minute miles).
Average Heart Rate: 158 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 180 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 188 bpm.) Today my plantar fasciitis didn't complain, but at the end of my run the troublesome right hip was hinting with short throbs that I was pushing it. I'll need to do more core and hip strengthening exercises next week.
I wore my racing shoes, ASICS DS Trainers, which are lighter and believe made my workout today a little easier...nevertheless, I wonder if these shoes are aggravating my right hip? I'll return to my stability shoes, New Balance 729, for my next Tempo Run as to determine if my stability shoes are better for my hip. Maybe my racing shoes are already worn out with a scant 188 miles on them?
Out of the three quality runs (intervals, tempos, and the long runs), I find that the tempo runs are the easiest for me...maybe because I've done tempo training all throughout the summer, while intervals and long run took a backseat in my training.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment