Daily Quote: "Winning has always meant much to me, but winning friends has meant the most." --Babe Zaharias
Today's workout is from the book, "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster," if you own the book the workout is on page 106, Cross-Training Workout #1 ((XT#1).
24 Hour Fitness on Decatur & Tropicana, Life Fitness Lifecycle:
1. Mode: Stationary cycling for a total time of 45 minutes.
8 minutes easy spinning, Level 4.
30 minutes moderate, Level 10.
7 minutes easy spinning, Level 4.
Cadence for all levels was 95-100 revolutions...or RPMs
Same workout as last Tuesday, but my heart rates were lower...cardiac drift was only 158 bpm! Next Tuesday will raise the cycle to Level 11.
Tomorrow will be a long run of 15 miles as I prepare for the 2010 Las Vegas Marathon.
My friend, Randy Salamone, made some valid points about FIRST Training Program and the "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster" book during his response to me through about.com running/jogging forum:
Bruce,
I doubt you need to read this reply to know how I feel about 'less is more' training plans. Less is not more! Less is less!
My reasons are as follows:
1. Any well thought out training plan will include intervals, tempo runs and long runs. Those workouts are not a novel feature of FIRST training.
2. Cross training is fine; but only as a supplement to running not as a replacement for it. Specificity of response to training has demonstrated that the best training for a given activity is that activity itself.
3. Follow the elites! When world class runners train based on FIRST I’ll give it a try. Almost all competitive marathoners run 90-140 miles a week. Only AFTER they put in the miles do they supplement with cross-training.
I’m not suggesting slower, less talented, runners (almost everyone when compared to the elites) run 120 miles a week; but elite runners run 10-15 hours a week (almost all on a 7 day a week schedule). A slower runner, putting in 10 hours a week might run 60 to 80 miles.
I know this isn’t news to you; in the past you’ve generally trained at the levels I’m suggesting; and with good results. There are legitimate reasons to change your training approach; certainly FIRST adds variety via the cross training; and not everyone, at every point in their life, can dedicate 10 or so hours a week to training.
For someone unable or unwilling to train via a traditional high mileage approach (which includes all 3 FIRST workouts plus recovery, medium long, hills, striders and other workouts) FIRST may produce good results. But if ‘less’ was really more, the best runners in the world would be training that way; there not; less is less (but given an individual’s life’s constraints on training time/commitment may be ‘best’).
Randy
I'm so fortunate to have a friend like Randy who took the time for such a thought provoking statement! He has helped me so much in the past and without his knowledge I doubt I would be the runner that I am today. My reply was as follows:
Howdy Randy!
Yup, I already knew what your thoughts on the matter of the FIRST Training Program as this subject was discussed before...I believe two years ago?!?
I totally agree with your statement that "Less is not more! Less is less!" Unfortunately, I've been having problems with my left plantar fasciitis and right hip, if I didn't reduce my mileage I might not be able to run at all. My mindset is that this FIRST Training Program will be a temporary relief until my body is fully and totally healed and ready for the vigor of higher mileage. For now, I'm enjoying the change and variety of my FIRST marathon training. Of course, no matter what my current training, I have this GUNG-HO attitude, which helps me train harder with more confidence...that attitude could be misconstrued as total acceptance to my current training philosophy...I still prefer higher mileage, too bad my body isn't up to that challenge.
Once I'm confident that my injuries and totally healed and body prepared to take on the vigors of higher mileage, I'll definitely return to higher mileage. Think of this year as my "recovery year."
Your insights and comments are valuable to me as you've helped me achieve a BQ twice!!
Happy trails, Bruce
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment