Thursday, August 19, 2010

Blessed Rest Day

Daily Quote: "Allowing the body to rest from intense run workouts is paramount for improving.  Sleep may be the most important recovery technique.  Sleep allows the body an opportunity to regenerate; the body releases growth hormones that aid and repair stressed muscles from hard workouts/races."  --from the excellent book "Runner's World, Run Less, Run Faster," by Pierce, Murr, and Moss, pg 121.


Thank goodness today is a rest day!!  I slept a solid nine hours last night and still feel tired. My body felt very sore this morning, felt like I finished a race yesterday rather than a Long Run.  My morning heart rate is normally between 139-143 bpm, but this morning it was a high of 152 bpm!  I definitely needed a rest.  Tomorrow will be a low impact exercise of upright stationary cycling that will give my lower body even more recovery.
 
Needless to say, today is not a total rest day as I still have to drive a Checker Cab for 12+ hours during the busy mercantile convention called, "MAGIC."
 
One positive note, my body weight is now 176 pounds on a six foot frame, the lowest my weight has been since April 22nd!  My ideal racing weight is 170 pounds, but those last few pounds are very difficult to lose and still maintain muscles for my endurance workouts.

No comments: