Daily Quote: "Think Easy, Light, Smooth, and Fast. You start with easy, because if that's all you get, that's not so bad. Then work on light. Make it effortless, like you don't give a shit how high the hill is or how far you've got to go. When you've practiced that so long that you forget you're practicing, you work on making it smoooooth. You won't have to worry about the last one -- you get those three, and you'll be fast." --Caballo Blanco showing Christopher McDougall how to run rocky trails through hills. From the book " "Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen.", by Christopher McDougall.
I highly recommend the book, "Born to Run," and can't rave enough about it! If you're interested in the history of distance running, magnificent runners in North Mexico, or how to improve your own running and creating a new "joy" of spirit, this book is for you!!
Today is a easy recovery run as it's a day after the interval workout and tomorrow is my hill program. Only six more days until my race, "9th Annual 4th of July 5K Blast"! I awoke early as to avoid the Vegas heat, but was still warm at 6:00 a.m. After my race next weekend I'll be back on the treadmill for the duration of the summer.
6:00 a.m. Recovery Run. 6 miles. Time, 58:45. Overall pace, 9:47 minute miles. Out and back on Jones Blvd. Partly Cloudy, 82 degrees, winds SSW at 4 mph. Average heart rate, 143 bpm. Cardiac drift, 147 bpm. Carried small bottle of Gatorade (Now marketed simply as "G"), which I downed within 30 minutes. Body isn't sore at all from yesterday's interval program and I'm full of confidence for Saturday's race.
SUMMARY, JUNE 22-28, 2009
Last week ran a total of 48 miles and continued my running streak...the last day I didn't run was February 14th. Next week will be a cut-back week as I taper for the race on Saturday, "The 9th Annual 4th of July 5k Blast."
I continued to complete three weight circuit training sessions last week. Finding time to lift weights has been difficult, but due to reduced mileage for my upcoming taper this week it should be easier to squeeze in the weight sessions.
I lost one pound last and I'm currently 178 pounds on a six foot frame. My goal is still to reach my racing weight of 170 pounds for the 2009 Rock n' Roll Las Vegas Marathon, which shouldn't be a problem to achieve once I start my base building after Saturday's 5k race.
I'm happy to report that my sleeping patterns have returned to normal and I'm now sleeping 7-8 hours nightly. My morning heart rates have returned to approximately 38-41 bpm.
A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Hill Program, 6 miles.
Tuesday: Recovery Run, 5 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Wednesday: Long Run, 15 miles.
Thursday: Recovery Run, 5 miles. Weight Circuit Training.
Friday: Recovery Run, 5 miles.
Saturday: Intervals, 6 miles.
Sunday: Recovery Run, 6 miles.
Total weekly mileage: 48 miles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hey there! You are doing so amazing..what a streak you have going! Can't wait to hear all about your upcoming race!
I'm glad you enjoyed the book! I need to get the paperback now since my first time through was with the book on MP3. I've been posting on the barefoot forum and Barefoot Ted has actually commented on my posts, COOL!!
Post a Comment